[Marxism] Free Craig! Ebtrapment of closeted gays still the norm.

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Fri Aug 31 13:01:09 MDT 2007

There is growing Republican pressure on Sen. Craig to resign, which he will
probably do, I assume. But his decision to fight his arrest seems completely
justified. This was entrapmenty of gays pure and simple.  The cop clearly
did everything he could, until he announced himself as a cop, to convince
Craig he was interested in a sexual approach.

Craig is in the right, and all charges must be dropped.  Free Larry Craig!

August 31, 2007
Tape Shows a Senator Protesting After Arrest
By WILLIAM YARDLEY and DUFF WILSON
BOISE, Idaho, Aug. 30 - In the moments after Senator Larry E. Craig was
arrested in an airport men's room, he accused an undercover police sergeant
of entrapping him, emphasized that he did not want to go to court or to jail
and frequently said, "I don't recall," when asked about his reported sexual
advances to the officer.

The tense exchanges between Mr. Craig, Republican of Idaho, and the sergeant
were captured on a nine-minute audiotape made public on Thursday under the
Minnesota public records law.

The officer, Sgt. Dave Karsnia of the Minneapolis-St. Paul International
Airport Police, read Mr. Craig his legal rights and tried to press him to
confess to soliciting sex, calling Mr. Craig's continued denials
disrespectful and disappointing.

"Well, you're not being truthful with me," the sergeant said. "I'm kinda
disappointed in you, Mr. Senator. I'm real disappointed in you right now."

Mr. Craig, who was arrested on June 11, told the sergeant that he had been
trying to go to the toilet when their feet "bumped" under the stalls.

"Next thing I knew, under the bathroom divider comes a card that says
'Police,' " Mr. Craig said.

"Your foot came toward mine, mine came toward yours," Mr. Craig said. "Was
that natural? I don't know. Did we bump? Yes, I think we did. You said so. I
don't disagree with that."

Mr. Craig returned to the airport 11 days later to report that the officer
had mistreated him and to obtain the name of the prosecutor in the case,
police records show. On Aug. 1, Mr. Craig signed a form pleading guilty to
the lesser charge of disorderly conduct and mailed it to the court, which
entered the plea on Aug. 8.

In the June 11 audiotape, broadcast for the first time by MSNBC, Mr. Craig
denied that he was gay, saying, "I don't do these kinds of things," and
added that the foot contact was inadvertent.

"I'm a fairly wide guy," Mr. Craig said. "I tend to spread my legs when I
lower my pants so they won't slide. Did I slide them too close to yours?"

Since the news of his arrest became public on Monday, Mr. Craig has faced
increasing calls to resign, and the Senate Republican leadership has removed
him from his ranking committee positions.

Mr. Craig, who is up for re-election next year, has said he will decide next
month whether to run again.

The leading group of gay Republicans, Log Cabin Republicans, said Thursday
that Mr. Craig should step down.

"I think his statement is absurd, and I think his comments aren't
believable," Patrick Sammon, president of the Washington-based group, said
in a telephone interview. "He entered a guilty plea in an effort to sweep it
under the rug, and it blew up in his face. I think he should take
responsibility for it and resign."

Sergeant Karsnia did not appear to present the senator with physical
evidence of a crime, just his own account. The sergeant grew increasingly
frustrated when the senator rejected his assertion that Mr. Craig had rubbed
his left hand beneath the stall divider. The senator said he had reached to
pick up a piece of toilet paper with his right hand.

"I'm disrespected right now," the sergeant said, his voice rising in anger.
"And I'm not trying to act like I have all kinds of power or anything. But
you're sitting here lying to a police officer."

At one point, Mr. Craig suggested that he had been set up.

"You're out to enforce the law," Mr. Craig said to Sergeant Karsnia. "But
you shouldn't be out to entrap people, either."

The sergeant said, "This isn't entrapment."

Sergeant Karsnia also told Mr. Craig that he would not make the arrest
public. "I don't call media," he said.

The restroom is listed on Web sites that describe places for gay men to meet
for sex, and the airport police have made multiple arrests in it in recent
months. The senator said on the tape that he used that bathroom "regularly,"
because he was a commuter using the airport but that he had never solicited
sex.

"You saw something that didn't happen," he told the sergeant.

"Embarrassing," Sergeant Karsnia said before ending the interview.
"Embarrassing."

William Yardley reported from Boise, Idaho, and Duff Wilson from Washington.