[Marxism] Playing with fire

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Fri Aug 31 15:03:38 MDT 2007

> Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 09:58:14 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Debordagoria <phantasmagorias at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Marxism] AlterNet: Is George Bush Restarting Latin America's
>  'Dirty Wars'?
>
> >From the article:
>
> "Castillo, in his cool Asunción office, with the
> standard Paraguayan herbal tea, tereré in his hand,
> said these operations marked a shift in U.S. military
> strategy. "The kind of training that used to just
> happen at the School of the Americas at Fort Benning,
> Georgia, is now decentralized," he explained. "The
> U.S. military is now establishing new mechanisms of
> cooperation and training with armed forces." Combined
> efforts, such as MEDRETEs, are part of this agenda.
> "It is a way to remain present, while maintaining a
> broad reach throughout the Americas." Castillo said
> this new wave of militarism is aimed at considering
> internal populations as potential enemies and
> preventing insurgent leftists from coming to power."
>
> So we see now the formal response of the U.S. to the
> threat of Morales-style left populism in Latin
> America. The Empire Strikes Back.

Maybe this is more of a pre-emptive attack against another much
dreaded ghost: that of Chávez-style military democratic patriotism.
In fact, some sheets from the Right in Argentina are alerting against
a steady Chavista infiltration in the Armed Forces... If the US want
to play the "dirty war" card again, they may well be playing with
fire in a powderkeg.

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar