[Marxism] Was Allende too radical?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Feb 2 09:57:54 MST 2007

Although I don't consider the Euston left to be genuinely leftist, I
try to keep up with their deliberations since they function as a kind
of volunteer think-tank for the people who run Great Britain and the
United States (even if this means taking anti-nausea medication
before reading Christopher Hitchens). As Michael Corleone said in
"The Godfather", "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer".

There's a yahoo mailing list called DemocraticLeft, whose archives
are public and that I like to check once a day as part of my tour of
the Euston wing of the Internet. It was launched about 5 years ago by
the red-baiting teacher's union bureaucrat Leo Casey in an effort to
create a pole of attraction for what would emerge as the Euston left.
The fact that there are only 163 subscribers should give you some
indication of the market demand for this kind of sniveling, rightwing
Menshevism.

There are basically two ideological tendencies at work on
DemocraticLeft. The first is full-tilt liberalism of the sort
represented by Danny Postel, the editor of the website Open Democracy
that receives funding from the Rockefeller Foundation and other
well-known friends of the left. The other is a sort of toothless
social democracy that feels the need to pay lip-service to class
politics when the list liberals go too far. For the past week or so,
these divisions have been exposed over Chavez's turn toward the left,
which has upset the bourgeois press and their friends at Open
Democracy and elsewhere. Michael Hirsch, who is on the editorial
board of the left-Shachtmanite New Politics, has defended Chavez in
the most begrudging terms, while Marc Cooper has been leading the
charge to denounce him as an enemy of democracy.

full: http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2007/02/02/was-allende-too-radical/