[Marxism] Sinn Fein's Capitulation

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 5 06:17:31 MST 2007

The IRA couldn't defeat the British militarily, but they were strong enough
that they couldn't be defeated by the British, either. They've decided that
they must try another approach to get out of the deadlock they were in.
I've little understanding of the ins and outs of Irish politics, but this much
is obvious. The IRA's military campaign did not obtain British withdrawal.

A similar situation obtains in Sri Lanka, and in Colombia, which is why
Cuba has hosted peace-talks between the Colombian government and
the ELN guerrilla force.

History will determine whether they made the right choice. It's easy for
anyone to criticize them for their choice, but what alternative is being
proposed, specifically, to break out of the Irish logjam? None to far.

Here's a Cuban look at this matter from November, and I'm hoping to
get a more recent commentary translated. I have a few other articles
like this also translated from the Cuban media regarding Ireland.
http://www.walterlippmann.com/docs972.html

Walter Lippmann
Los Angeles, California

JSCOTLIVE wrote:
Ultimately, the existing SF leadership’s short term reward for
sending their organisation into the night as a national liberation
movement has guaranteed in the long term their calumny in the court
of history, a court in which the intellectual gymnastics employed by
Adams, McGuinness, et al. in order to justify such an egregious act
are inadmissible.
http://lists.econ.utah.edu/pipermail/marxism/2007-February/008712.html