[Marxism] Lula Accuses Rich Nations over Gas Emissions

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 8 09:59:46 MST 2007

Lula Accuses Rich Nations over Gas Emissions

http://www.periodico26.cu/english/news_world/lula020707.htm

RIO DE JANEIRO.— Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva
accused the rich nations Tuesday of doing “absolutely nothing” to
curb emissions of polluting gases that cause global warming and
defended Brazil’s actions to preserve the Amazon jungle, reported
ANSA news agency.

“We need a large movement to demand that rich nations lower their gas
emissions. Those countries are very cunning: they approve protocols,
organize great discussions on how to prevent deforestation, but they
have already destroyed all their forests, they have no more trees to
cut down,” Lula angrily said in Rio de Janeiro.

“What we need is a different campaign, not only to preserve our flora
and fauna, but to force the wealthy nations to lower their emissions
of polluting gases,” Lula said in a meeting that took place at the
headquarters of the Rio de Janeiro state government.

The Brazilian president said that “only a few other nations have the
moral authority to talk about deforestation” and noted that logging
activities in the Amazon region, the so-called lung of the planet,
were reduced by 52 percent in the past two years.