[Marxism] minister loal to Sadr arrested in Baghdad raid

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Thu Feb 8 21:25:12 MST 2007

So what is going on? I think, and of course this is only guess work based on English language reports, that there is a serious attempt to take out the resistance in Baghdad.  The American are using Kurds and Shiites to attack the Sunni areas.  Those same areas are also under car bomb attack and nightly incursions from Sadrist death squads.

This all out assault on the resistance and its base is accompanied by a strategy of cherry picking or head lopping of carefully selected targets from al-Sadr's movement.  There does not yet appear to be any plan to attack Sadr City directly.

al-Sadr is lying low on advice from al-Maliki, the Prime Minister. He is doing everything he can to avoid a confrontation with the Americans. This strategy is *emboldening* the Americans and their Shiite (SCIRI &D a'wa Party) and Kurdish allies.

There may still be a direct attack on al-Sadr's own person.  At that stage we will see how committed the Sadrists are to resistance. Whatever the case I agree with Downing's assessment (see link in earlier post) in the Asia Times.  The die is indeed cast and we are entering what is possibly the most curucial phase of the war.

regards

Gary