[Marxism] US-Brazil ethanol deal meant to undercut Venezuela

Carlos Eduardo Rebello crebello at antares.com.br
Fri Feb 9 04:39:14 MST 2007

Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 21:08:03 +0000
From: dave.walters at comcast.net

"The more I learn about Ethanol, the more I don't like it."

Absolutely. You would like it even less had seen a sugar cane field,
dependent on high herbicide concentrations for successful growing, extending
into the very borders of lakes and rivers, with a complete absence of
anything that could be called biological diversity. As sugar cane is
generally cultivated by means of purely vegetative growth (putting cane
cuttings into earth; sexual reproduction is limited to the selection of new
varieties, made in agricultural labs), sugar cane fields lack flowers,
therefore lacking honey bees, therefore inducing a general failure in
pollination in neighbouring woods.

Also, the low profit margin per weight-unit of cane harvested makes it very
latifundia-friendly, and as it needs small tending between planting and
harvesting, it shows an obvious "elective affinity" with seasonal work by
means of using vagrant labor, something that eventually estimulates the use
of subcontractors and quasi-slave labor. Put into a nutshell, its one of the
most socially regressive existing commercial crops, something shown by its
historical role in primitive accumulation (e.g. Santo Domingo).

CR