[Marxism] Sugar cane and family-owned monsters

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Fri Feb 9 16:01:38 MST 2007

Sugar cane is still nastier than Carlos comments, in Latin America at
least or I should say in Argentina.

In the sugar cane growing areas of my own country you should add
another beautiful trait.

What I am going to comment has changed little, though it is not
economically functional any more. But it is still a kind of norm in
these areas.

In order to keep labor in pace and sustain social "peace" sugar cane
growers and the "ingenios" (that is the mills, who don't always own
sugar planting land but establish a similar policy against the
minifundia whose production they buy) are very prone to political and
labor crime against the organizers.

These crimes are explained away by resorting to very old myths on the
ownership (by the family, or company) of a demon that kills rabble-
rousers. It is a legend all over Arg North West, and the beast is
known as "El familiar" (that is, ambiguously, both "the demon of the
family" and "the member of the family").

In Uruguay, the most combative groups of the Left grew up during the
60s around Raúl Sendic, who was the attorney that defended the sugar
cane workers at the Northwestern department of Bella Unión. It should
be no surprise at all to learn that the Tupamaros grew out of sugar
cane...

Speak of angels painting signs on the doors of the Hebrews who were
appointed to flee from Egypt!

Respuesta a:"(None)"
Enviado por:Unknown
Con fecha:, a las

> Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 09:39:14 -0200
> From: Carlos Eduardo Rebello <crebello at antares.com.br>
> Subject: Re: [Marxism] US-Brazil ethanol deal meant to undercut
> Venezuela
> To: marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu Reply-to: Activists and scholars in
> Marxist tradition
>  <marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu>
>
> Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 21:08:03 +0000
> From: dave.walters at comcast.net
>
> "The more I learn about Ethanol, the more I don't like it."
>
> Absolutely. You would like it even less had seen a sugar cane field,
> dependent on high herbicide concentrations for successful growing,
> extending into the very borders of lakes and rivers, with a complete
> absence of anything that could be called biological diversity. As
> sugar cane is generally cultivated by means of purely vegetative
> growth (putting cane cuttings into earth; sexual reproduction is
> limited to the selection of new varieties, made in agric

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
[No necesariamente es su autor]