[Marxism] The Jihadism of Fools By Fred Halliday

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Feb 10 15:05:27 MST 2007

>Louis,
>I am not really interested in the political life of Fred Halliday andv
>I could care less about who his brother Jon is!

Well, you should. This is a Marxism list after
all. And Dissent Magazine is bitterly hostile to
everything we stand for here. Generally, it is
understood why people might crosspost from the
Washington Post or the NY Times. Rancid Menshevik
propaganda from Dissent is a horse of another color.

>What is amazing to me is that Islamic fundamentalist currents are
>lauded on this list with out the sharp criticism that is being applied
>to Hailday. It would be nice if you addressed the arguments of his
>essay instead of induging in hyperbole over his political evolution.

The arguments are hardly worth answering.
Halliday's article is filled with gross
distortions our outright lies. Here is one:

"Instead, while appealing to the community or
umma of Muslims, the Islamists, be they al-Qaeda
or Hezbollah, appeal only to particular
communities and pour out the venom of an
unrelenting chauvinism toward nonbelievers, Jews,
and even toward Muslims of a different sect than their own."

Does anybody in their right mind see any
connections between the diehard Wahabbi members
of al-Qaeda and Hezbollah? Anybody who reads a
newspaper knows that Hezbollah has been a
unifying force in Lebanon. Here's a snippet from
the Charles Glass article that got my old professor from Bard so worked up:

"Hizbullah’s unspectacular showing in the first
post-Syrian parliamentary elections was largely
due to changes in electoral law but may also be
traced in part to its perceived pro-Syrian
stance. Now, Israel has rescued Hizbullah and
made its secretary-general, Hassan Nasrallah, not
only the most popular man in Lebanon – but in the
whole Arab world. An opinion poll commissioned by
the Beirut Centre for Research and Information
found that 80 per cent of Lebanese Christians
supported Hizbullah; the figure for other
communities was even higher. It was not
insignificant that, when false reports came in
that Hizbullah had sunk a second Israeli warship,
the area that fired the loudest celebratory shots
in the air was Ashrafieh, the heart of Christian
East Beirut. Unlike in 1982, when it could rely
on some of the Christian militias, Israel now has no friends in Lebanon."

full: http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n16/glas01_.html