[Marxism] Cuba's eternal dilemma: annexation or independence (freedom of the press)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Feb 12 13:58:03 MST 2007

>HOWEVER, the sentences that are reportedly being sought for these 'reporters'
>are a bit harsh. I am unsure what to believe, of course, but Reporters Sans
>Frontiers, while they don't have all the answers, are surely not an arm of US
>imperialism, unless I am being naive.
>

>Jesse

The CPJ, the RSF, Cuba and press freedom
posted to www.marxmail.org on July 16, 2003

Most people have probably heard of the Committee to Protect Journalists
(CPJ), a US based outfit that generally does good work defending
journalists against repression. If you go to their website at www.cpj.org,
you will find links to a number of cases they are involved with. Most are
worthy, such as the item decrying the murderous US attack on journalists
during the Iraq war. Unfortunately, there is also an item defending the US
agents in Cuba under the specious heading "Crackdown on the Independent
Press in Cuba".

To give credit to the CPJ, they at least present the Cuban government's
case on their website, which is filled with testimony about the buckets of
payments made by both the USA and the Spanish based Hispanic-Cuban
Foundation to the opponents of the Cuban government. Since the CPJ makes no
case made against this kind of funding, one must assume that they view it
as legitimate. One can only wonder what would happen to a radical newspaper
in the USA that was discovered to rely on Cuban funding. They would not
throw the staff in jail. They would throw the staff under the jail.

Let's try an intellectual exercise. Turn the clock back to 1941. The
Japanese has attacked Pearl Harbor, which was not even part of the USA but
a colonial outpost to guard economic and military interests in the Pacific.
Only eight days after the attack, Roosevelt established the Office of
Censorship which asserted the power to control all international
communications. So why should Cuba, which has been the victim of a
full-scale invasion, economic blockade, repeated assassination plots
against government leaders, skyjackings winked at by the USA and probable
biological warfare including Dengue Fever be held up to a higher standard
than the host country of CPJ?

The corporate press was happy to join Roosevelt and exercise the kind of
self-censorship that was on display during the Iraq War. With outfits like
CNN, Bloomberg Inc. and Viacom/CBS serving as major donors to the CPJ, one
might expect them to have a blind spot on such questions. After all, if you
have the freedom to buy a newspaper like Rupert Murdoch or Mort Zuckerman
does, why would one deny that freedom to the Cuban people?

Of course, the CPJ is not solely the creature of the big corporate funders
who pay the rent, salaries and other expenses. There are good "lefties" on
the Board of Directors like Victor Navasky of the Nation Magazine. But our
friends at the Nation have also exhibited a blind spot on such matters in
the past. Freda Kirchney, the editor of The Nation at that time of Pearl
Harbor, claimed, "Disloyal publications should be exterminated exactly as
if they were enemy machine guns in the Bataan jungle." My, oh, my!

****

As has become obvious, the measures taken recently by the Cuban government
to defend the revolution have become a 'cause celebre' for liberals
worldwide. The other day I posted a response to the Committee to Protect
Journalists (CPJ), a group that had taken up this cause despite the fact
that its corporate funders (CNN, Bloomberg et al) are among the world's
biggest enemies of freedom of the press. The CPJ's model only takes into
account the kind of repression visited on reporters in third world
dictatorships typically. If CNN and the Murdoch press can swamp the TV's
and newsstands of that same country drowning out the local competition, it
would hardly raise an eyebrow in these quarters.

You find the same exact mind-set at the Paris-based "Reporters Without
Borders" (Reporters Sans Frontières--RSF), a group that seems inspired by
"Doctors Without Borders", which also got started in France. You'll recall
that this group was very involved in pushing war against Yugoslavia and
that its director Bernard Kouchner was rewarded with the post of colonial
administrator of Kosovo.

In keeping with a general softness on the world's biggest threat to
democracy, RSF includes a map of the world on their home page with colors
ranging from pure as the driven snow white to shocking and sinful red, with
various shadings of pink in the middle. White signifies a "good" situation,
while red stands for a "serious" situation. It should come as no surprise
that the USA is a satisfactory gray, while Cuba is the deepest shade of red.

Venezuela is another country singled out for repression against reporters
by both the CPJ and RSF. Since they have no concept how privately owned
media can represent as much of a threat to the free flow of information as
government censorship, they take sides against Hugo Chavez who was the
target of a general strike fomented by the ruling class and the newspapers
and TV stations they own. Naomi Klein took them to task in a February 18,
2003 Guardian article:

During the recent strike organised by the oil industry, the stations
broadcast an average of 700 pro-strike advertisements every day. Chavez has
decided to go after the TV stations in earnest, with an investigation into
violations of broadcast standards and a new set of regulations. "Don't be
surprised if we start shutting down television stations," he said in January.

The threat has sparked condemnations from the Committee to Protect
Journalists and Reporters Without Borders. And there is reason for concern:
the media war in Venezuela is bloody, with attacks on both pro- and
anti-Chavez media outlets. But attempts to regulate the media aren't an
"attack on press freedom", as CPJ claimed - quite the opposite.

Venezuela's media, including state TV, needs controls to ensure balance.
Some of Chavez's proposals overstep these bounds. But it is absurd to treat
Chavez as the principal threat to a free press. That honour goes to the
media owners. This has been lost on groups entrusted to defend press
freedom, still stuck in a paradigm in which all journalists want to tell
the truth and all threats come from nasty politicians and angry mobs.

Every so often, the naked hostility of RSF to challenges against the "free"
corporate media is bared. In their 2003 Annual Report, they fulminate
against UN bids to address this problem:

 >>A new example of the spineless attitude of Western democracies towards
authoritarian regimes are preparations for the UN World Summit on the
Information Society. . .In fact, the idea of the information society summit
quietly harks back to what was known in the 1970s and the 1980s as the New
World Information Order, when a rag-bag alliance of communist regimes,
African and Asian despots and Western Third-Worldist intellectuals used the
presence of an African at the head of UNESCO to try to bring the flow of
international news under the control of governments, officially (of course)
for the benefit of the people.  They said the world's news was dominated by
the corporate media of the capitalist West and aimed to rein them in,
leaving ordinary people in ignorance. It reeked of the old totalitarian
notion of the "supreme guide" who knows better than you what's good for
you. The whole repressive concept led the United States and Britain to
withdraw from UNESCO. This was enough of a jolt to kill off the idea.<<

Can't you see the bitter resentment against 3rd world radicalism working
itself into a proper lather here? A rag-bag of communists and 3rd Worldist
intellectuals under the banner of UNESCO sought to challenge the "corporate
media of the capitalist West". What a totalitarian idea, that CNN and the
Murdoch press are inimical to the interests of people struggling to free
themselves from the domination of US imperialism and its junior partners.

It might be useful to revisit this controversy. The US and Great Britain
pulled out of UNESCO for the same reason it is in Iraq today. This should
have been obvious to any student of the media, especially the late Herbert
Schiller whose "Culture Inc" was reviewed in the July/August 1990
Multimedia Monitor when people like George Bush were fulminating--like
RSF--at the subversives in UNESCO:

 >>Cultural industries have both followed and fueled other corporate drives
to dominate world markets. Information industries circulate data and
capital around the world, allowing them to change the international
division of labor and to shift production sites worldwide. The cultural
industries have also expanded internationally for their own direct material
gain. Television networks pressure autonomous state-run broadcasting
systems across Europe and the Soviet Union to include transnationally
supplied broadcasting under threat of being bypassed with satellite or
other technology.

The United States actively assists this transnationalization. By promoting
privatization and deregulation, the United States works to diminish or
destroy the international public communications sector. Schiller supplies a
telling example: in 1985 the United States unilaterally withdrew from the
United Nations Educational, Scientific Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The
pullout followed a furious and, Schiller shows, unjust campaign waged by
the U.S. government in cooperation with the U.S. media against UNESCO,
which had promoted some moderate proposals for a New International
Information Order (NIIO). The vague principles underlying the NIIO urged
respect for nations' right to control national culture and offered support
for national public broadcasting systems.

At stake was more than a heavy import of Anglo-American media material by
the rest of the world. Fundamental economic data are also transferred
internationally, ranging from travel reservation information to banking and
insurance transactions to engineering and architectural design. These sorts
of data transfers, combined with cultural flows, have created a system
dominated by multinational companies. "The essential point is that an
entire broadcast, information, and cultural system, privately owned and
managed, often helped by government policy but mainly dependent on
transnational advertising on behalf of corporate sponsors (or corporate
users in the case of electronic data flows), is being set in place. When
such a system is consolidated, the utility of analyzing the effects of
*one* program or medium is futile. The entire social mechanism has been
transformed into a corporate exhibit or channel."<<

--

www.marxmail.org