[Marxism] SACP-ANC and South Africa

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Feb 12 19:53:29 MST 2007

Walter wrote:
>The ANC government protects South African interests and doesn't,
>unless I'm mistaken here, subordinate the South African interests to
>say U.S. or European capitalist interests.

Yes, it does support "South African interests" if by that you mean
the interests of the South African bourgeoisie. Unfortunately, that
does not mean the same thing as working class interests, unless you
agree with the dictum that what's good for General Motors is good for
America. I'm afraid that this kind of capitalist ideology is always
dancing around the edges of Walter's contributions here and every
once in a while takes center stage under the glaring klieg lights.

Walter Lippmann:
During the era of the industrial revolution, skilled artisans were
thrown out of work and replaced by industrial factory workers at
lower salaries. Pollution was caused by industrial exhaust. Life was
made more cruel, nasty, brutish and short. But progress for humanity
took place through the industrial development process. For some
reason, this occurrence in contemporary China is bothersome to some
who describe their philosophy as Marxist.

full: http://marx.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/2005w19/msg00255.htm

(The "industrial development process" is a euphemism for capitalism.
Walter stated that progress can take place under capitalism. An odd
view for somebody who is so committed to the Cuban revolution, unless
we are dealing with somebody who is hoping that Cuba can begin to
emulate China.)