[Marxism] SACP-ANC and South Africa

Sayan Bhattacharyya ok.president+marxmail at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 20:44:58 MST 2007

On 2/12/07, Walter Lippmann <walterlx at earthlink.net> wrote:

Of course progress can take place under capitalism. That's what Marx
> wrote in the Communist Manifesto. Progress, economic growth, call it
> what you will, is taking place today in China (call it capitalist as Louis
> does, or a bureaucratically-deformed workers state as I think is most
> appropriate), in India (everyone agrees it's capitalist)

Progress, economic growth...all the same thing, hmm?

The New York Times,
Feb 9 2007
Even Amid Its Wealth, India Finds, Half Its Small Children Are
Malnourished

By SOMINI SENGUPTA

Full text: <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/10/world/asia/10india.html>

MUMBAI, India, Feb. 9 — Even after India's years of sustained economic
growth, child malnutrition rates here are comparable to some of the poorest
countries, and at times worse.

In this young nation, where 40 percent of the people are under 18, figures
released by the government on Friday offered an alarming portrait of child
health: Among children under 3, nearly half are clinically underweight, the
most reliable measure of malnutrition.

Additionally troubling, the incidence of child malnutrition declined only
one percentage point, to 46 percent, in seven years, according the latest
National Family Health Survey. During that time, the economy grew at 6 to 8
percent [...]

Full: <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/10/world/asia/10india.html>

I suppose some people see the decline in child malnutrition by 1 (ONE)
percentage point during 7 years of 8% economic growth, as progress.

I can't count myself as one of them, unfortunately.