[Marxism] SACP-ANC and South Africa

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Feb 13 13:52:25 MST 2007

>Which "mass organizations" in South Africa might those be? So far as I'm
>aware there are none outside COSATU or the SACP which could form a new party
>capable of displacing the ANC.

It depends on what you mean by mass. There are mass struggles for access to
free water and electricity in the townships. That's where I would be if I
were in South Africa. I imagine that the organizing committees involve
substantial numbers of people since the deprival of water and electricity
affect hundreds of thousands of people. Here's an account of some of their
activities:

In 2002, Johannesburg Water came into one extension in Orange Farm,
promising residents that it would be providing proper sewerage and
sanitation systems in the area and for every household that paid R500 in
what they called a 'pilot' project.   For their R500s, residents were
provided with pre-paid water metres.   The pilot was a start of the
installation of pre-paid water metres in Johannesburg.  In Orange Farm,
residents, mainly women, came out into the streets in mass meetings and a
massive campaign against JOWCO, and the Orange Farm Water Crisis Committee
(OWCC) was born.  Residents gave meaning to the graffiti sprayed all over
Orange Farm, 'Break the metre. Enjoy the water!', and JOWCO retreated only
to re-surface in Phiri, Soweto and other parts of Orange Farm in September
2003.  Women have again come together as neighbours, friends and members of
organisations in Orange Farm and Soweto to physically prevent the
installation of pre-paid metres and to demand an end to the commodification
of life.  Mainly unemployed, a large number of single parents, breadwinners
responsible for large numbers of dependents, dependent on an
ever-diminishing social welfare system, women in these areas have come
together in projects, in organisations and in neighbourhood groups to
demand that the state live up to its role of providing basic services,
health, welfare and education.  While both men and women in Orange Farm
have been adversely affected by the government's embrace of neo-liberalism,
women have, through their traditional roles in the home, workplace and
society generally, had to bear additional problems as a result of their
role as 'nurturers' and providers for the needs of the family and home.  It
is probably this need to provide for the most basic survival needs of
people that has led women to adopt some of the most radical tactics in
preventing what is sure to become the regulation of the use of natural
resources by the individual's ability to pay.  Women in these areas speak
of fears of cholera outbreaks as happened in Alexandra and KwaZulu Natal in
2000 and 2001, when the introduction of higher user fees for water led to
people consuming contaminated water, resulting in over 250 deaths.  They
also fear that care of the sick (many HIV positive) and elderly will be
compromised and that their households of more than six, will not be able to
survive on the free 6kl of water provided by JOWCO.  What will they do when
they have no money to re-fill their cards for water?  Children will go
dirty and hungry, the sick will deteriorate, employment projects will
close, and women will not be able to meet their traditional roles as
providers and nurturers of life.

full: http://www.citizen.org/cmep/Water/gender/articles.cfm?ID=10787

--

www.marxmail.org