[Marxism] GREAT MOVIE: The Lives of Others

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 14 18:22:09 MST 2007

Considering the militant polemics against Chinese, Vietnamese and
South African Stalinism posted to Marxmail, one would think that a
well-done, non-anti-Communist film about Stalinism and government
spying on political dissidents, such is pervasive today in the United
States of America, would be something that Marxists would feel an
enthusiasm for. What do we have instead? It sounds like another
case of denuncification without observation, Chapter 126.

Kenneth Turan of the Los Angeles Times astutely comments:

Unlike other German films, most notably 2004's landmark "Goodbye,
Lenin," "Lives" is hardly an exercise in what's called "Ostalgia":
nostalgia for the good old days of the East. Instead it is an inside
look at how a surveillance society, set up to discover and prey upon
human weakness, has the ability to make everyone a potential suspect
and destroy everything it touches.
http://www.calendarlive.com/printedition/calendar/cl-et-lives1dec01,0,6624006.story

Walter Lippmann
Toronto, Ontario