[Marxism] the US killed Anne Frank

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 15 07:34:21 MST 2007

When they announced a couple weeks ago, without details, that letters
had been found about the unsuccessful efforts of Anne Frank's father to
gain entry to the US, I knew the specifics when revealed would be along
the lines of the article below. And sure enough, today's Times reports
that the Franks -- like millions of other Jews, Communists, Roma, and
other fascist victims -- went to their deaths in part because the US
refused them asylum.
Which, of course, was fine with the Zionists. Far from being a haven
from fascism, they knew such restrictions would force immigration to
their new colony. Thus Ben Gurion: "If I knew that it would be possible
to save all the children in Germany by bringing them over to England,
and only half of them by transporting them to Eretz Yisrael, then I
would opt for the second alternative. For we must weigh not only the
life of these children, but also the history of the People of Israel."
[23]http://www.marxists.de/middleast/brenner/ch13.htm

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/15/arts/15otto.html?hp&ex=1171602000&en=8562a7fbeab56978&ei
=5094&partner=homepage
The New York Times
February 15, 2007
In Old Files, Fading Hopes of Anne Frank’s Family
By PATRICIA COHEN

On April 30, 1941, just days after a Gestapo courier may have
threatened to denounce Anne Frank’s father, Otto, to the Nazis, he
wrote to his close college friend Nathan Straus Jr. begging for help in
getting his family out of Amsterdam and into America.

“I would not ask if conditions here would not force me to do all I can
in time to be able to avoid worse,” he wrote in a letter that forms
part of a 78-page stack of newly uncovered documents released
yesterday. “Perhaps you remember that we have two girls. It is for the
sake of the children mainly that we have to care for. Our own fate is
of less importance.”

Frank needed a $5,000 deposit to obtain a visa and Straus, the director
of the federal Housing Authority, a friend of Eleanor Roosevelt and the
son of Macy’s co-owner, had money and connections. “You are the only
person I know that I can ask,” he wrote. “Would it be possible for you
to give a deposit in my favor?”

That letter begins a series of personal correspondence and official
papers that reveal for the first time the Frank family’s increasingly
desperate efforts in 1941 to get to the United States or Cuba before
the Nazis got to them. The papers, owned by the YIVO Institute for
Jewish Research in New York, had lain undisturbed in a New Jersey
warehouse for nearly 30 years before a clerical error led to their
unexpected discovery. Given the thorough historical research and
extraordinary efforts to preserve Anne Frank’s legacy, the appearance
of this overlooked file is surprising.

The story seems to unfold in slow motion as the painstaking exchange of
letters journey across continents and from state to state, their
information often outdated by the time they arrive. Each page adds a
layer of sorrow as the tortuous process for gaining entry to the United
States — involving sponsors, large sums of money, affidavits and proof
of how their entry would benefit America — is laid out. The moment the
Franks and their American supporters overcame one administrative or
logistical obstacle, another arose.

Even the assistant secretary of state at the time, Adolf A. Berle Jr.,
despaired of the bewildering maze of regulations. As Richard Breitman,
a historian at American University, pointed out in a separate
background paper, Berle wrote in January 1941 that some consulates ask
for a trust fund. “Others ask for affidavits. One particularly shocking
case stated that nothing would be accepted save from a relative in the
United States under a legal obligation to support the applicant,” he
said. “It does seem to me that this Department could pull itself
together sufficiently to get out a general instruction which would be
complete enough and simple enough so that the procedure could be
standardized.”

Ultimately, powerful connections and money were not enough to enable
the Franks, not to mention most other European Jews, to break through
the State Department’s tightening restrictions. By the summer of 1942,
the Franks were forced into hiding. They remained in the secret annex
for two years before being turned in, probably by the same courier who
initially may have tried to blackmail them. As schoolchildren around
the world know, the story ends with the death in concentration camps of
15-year-old Anne, her sister Margot and her mother, Edith, and the
publication of Anne’s diary, now a literary and historical landmark
that personalizes the Holocaust’s immeasurable loss.

Mr. Breitman explained that after France fell to the Germans in June
1940, fears grew in the United States of a potential fifth column of
spies and saboteurs peopled by European refugees. By June of 1941, no
one with close relatives still in Germany was allowed into the United
States because of suspicions that the Nazis could use them to blackmail
refugees into clandestine cooperation. This development closed off the
possibility of getting the Frank girls out through a children’s rescue
agency or having Otto Frank depart first in the hopes that the rest of
his family would quickly follow.

By July, Germany shut down American consulates throughout its
territories, retaliating for a similar action on the Americans’ part.
As the exchange of letters show, Otto Frank would have had to get an
exit permit out of the Netherlands, and transit visas for a series of
Nazi-occupied countries to one of the four neutral areas where America
still had consular offices. By the summer, an escape to the United
States appeared hopeless. “I am afraid, however, the news is not good
news,” Straus wrote to Otto Frank on July 1, 1941.

In order to reach a neutral country, Frank then tried to obtain a Cuban
visa, a risky, expensive and often corrupt process. In a Sept. 8 letter
to Straus, he wrote, “I know that it will be impossible for us all to
leave even if most of the money is refundable, but Edith urges me to
leave alone or with the children.” On Oct. 12, 1941, he wrote, “It is
all much more difficult as one can imagine and is getting more
complicated every day.” Because of the uncertainty, he decided first to
try for a single visa for himself. It is granted and forwarded to Otto
Frank on Dec. 1. No one knows if it ever arrived; 10 days later,
Germany and Italy declared war on the United States, and Havana
cancelled the visa.

The file, originally in the hands of the National Refugee Service, was
turned over to YIVO in 1974 along with tens of thousands of other files
from private Jewish refugee agencies.

It wasn’t until 2005 that YIVO received a grant to organize and index
the 350 file cabinets worth of material it had warehoused in an
off-site storage center. In the summer of that year, Estelle Guzik, a
part-time volunteer, was sorting through files when she saw that a file
jacket was missing the subject’s date of birth, said Carl J. Rheins,
YIVO’s executive director. He said that she opened it and saw that the
children’s names were Anne and Margot Frank, and said, “Oh my God, this
is the Anne Frank file.”

YIVO kept the actual documents under wraps until yesterday because it
was figuring out the complicated legal questions of confidentiality and
copyright, Mr. Rheins said. The papers are now available to scholars at
YIVO on West 16th Street in Manhattan.

The last items in the file date from June 1945 to mid-1946. They
include a letter from Otto Frank’s brother-in-law Julius Hollander, who
was trying to locate the Franks and arrange for them to emigrate to the
United States. There is also a four-line notification that “Mrs. Edith
Frank died; daughters are still missing.”

What follows is a letter on Feb. 2, 1946, from Hollander saying that
“Otto Frank said he wants to stay in Amsterdam” and no longer wants to
come to the United States.