[Marxism] Why isn't UFPJ supporting the March on the Pentagon?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Feb 18 09:24:39 MST 2007

Dear Leslie Cagan,

This just appeared on the Marxism list I moderate
that has just under 1000 subscribers, as well as
perhaps 3 times as many unsubscribed readers of
our archives. I am very much opposed to UFPJ
calling an action on the day after ANSWER's in
Washington. It will be seen by everybody,
including me, as an attempt to undercut the
ANSWER action. I regard this as nothing less than
a boneheaded, disgusting sectarian move that
smacks of the small proprietor mentality of
cockroach capitalists rather than people trying
to change the world for the better.

As anybody will tell you, I have been far more
critical of ANSWER on this forum than UFPJ. I
have in fact urged members of the Workers World
Party and the recent split-off to work in UFPJ
rather than maintain a separate coalition.
Although I am opposed to the way in which UFPJ
tail-ends the Democratic Party, it is fairly
obvious that it has broader appeal.

I am not sure whose "brilliant" idea it was to
pull this maneuver but it is not too late to pull
back. Many people like myself have no particular
commitment to a party or to a faction in the
peace or radical movements, but we surely know how to smell a rat.

Thanks for your consideration,

Louis Proyect