[Marxism] Why isn't UFPJ supporting the March on the Pentagon? (And also why I'm not doing so yet.)

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Sun Feb 18 15:33:03 MST 2007

I agree that the two "coalitions" should stay away from each other's action
days.  UFPJ could hold as strong an action as it could muster in New York a
week later and there would be no issue.  This crap goes on and on. Of
course, the usual result of this kind of sectarian operation is that UFPJ
bows, endorses the action, and then at its next meeting swears never to do
so again. Then the cycle begins again.

But I am not sure that the planned action is going to be any where as
effective as January 27 was, although I hope so.

When I was in the Jan 27 protest, Troops Out Now Coalition supporters
accosted me several times explaining that their action would be "not just
symbolic -- we're going to FORCE Congress to stop funding the war."

Frankly, in my opinion, an action claiming that they won't leave Washington
until Congress acts is likely to end up every bit as symbolic as January 27
-- the whole "symbolic" vs. "forcing Congress" business was just a sectarian
slap at the protest they were taking part in at the moment, in my opinion.
Symbolic -- but less effective because less broad and inclusive.

They are still pitching on the same theme: Their action will "force"
Congress to act.  I see they are also sponsoring February 27 local actions
to consist of "Demonstrations! Sit-ins! Direct Action!"

The website currently proclaims:
"MARCH 17 - March on the Pentagon

on the 4th anniversary of the war

Come to Washington - be prepared to STAY

It's time to move from protest to resistance and force Congress to vote no
to war funding."

I think the January 27 action actually did play some role in pressuring
Congress, through a pretty broad mobilization of people, although they did
not boastfully claim to be "forcing"  Congress to act, which neither they or
TONC is massive enough to do.

I would predict that those organizing January 17, if they put their money
where their mouths currently are, will be more successful in getting people
arrested than in forcing
Congress to do anything.  Those who "force" Congress to do this or that are
the capitalist ruling class responsible for the war.  As they see antiwar
forces grow, they divide and exert their own various pressures.

Well, TONC has a month to get their action on a sounder basis, in my
opinion.  That may happen.  Here's hoping.
Fred Feldman

MARCH 17 - March on the Pentagon
on the 4th anniversary of the war
Come to Washington - be prepared to STAY
It's time to move from protest to resistance and force Congress to vote no
to war funding.

• Immediate, complete, and unconditional withdrawal from Iraq -- Out Now!
• End colonial occupation & imperialist aggression from Africa to Asia, from
Iraq to Palestine, to Afghanistan, to Haiti, to the Philippines, to Puerto
Rico
• No new wars against Iran, Syria, North Korea
• Hands off Cuba, Venezuela, Bolivia, and Lebanon
• Solidarity with immigrant workers and Katrina survivors
• Stop the war at home - Stop racist police terror - Stop ICE raids
• Military recruiters out of our schools and communities
• No draft - Education, not war