[Marxism] Why isn't UFPJ supporting the March on the Pentagon?

Jon Flanders jonflanders at jflan.net
Sun Feb 18 21:15:34 MST 2007

Given the lateness of the date, any notion of a single united
demonstration in Washington on March 17  is a pipe dream.

In the Albany area, plans are already underway for a March 18
demonstration followed by local vigils on the 19th. I don't expect many
people will go either to NYC or Washington.

Perhaps this is a good thing, if it wakes up the two sides for the need
for unity and a better way to make decisions than heretofore. Right now
local coalitions have zero input in what should happen next, they are
left to try to figure out what makes sense to relate to and what
doesn't.

Unlike the Vietnam period, we have no SMC pushing for mass
decision-making conferences, something that neither Answer or UFPJ would
want on their own. I suspect we will need a real crisis to jar the rank
and file of the anti-war movement into seeing  the need of democratic
decision making.

In the meantime, maybe someone could come up with a resolution to be
adopted by local anti-war groups demanding  this. To at least get the
discussion started. As usual,change will only come from below.

Jon Flanders