[Marxism] March 17 and ANSWER's Ultraleftism

jollyjack at riseup.net jollyjack at riseup.net
Mon Feb 19 04:23:13 MST 2007

   Eli,

   Let's deal with the real world here. ANSWER's call to "End Colonial
Occupation: Iraq, Palestine, Haiti, & everywhere" as one of the
central slogans of the call for the march totally undermines the
effort to build a broad united front to bring the troops home now.

   As anyone that has been active in the antiwar movement knows
ANSWER'a call to "end the occupation of Palestine" is not for Israeli
withdrawl fom the West Bank and Gaza, it is for the dissolution of the
Israeli state. Most americans who support the US getting out of Iraq
do not support this demand and to insist on this being part of the
March 17 call totally undermines it becoming a broad united front
action that can mobilize the real potential of the antiwar movement.

   We should be seeking to accentuate the real divisions in the ruling
class over this war the way that the SMC and NPAC did during the
Vietman War. But just as the Workers World Party was against having
Democratic Party politicians participating in the antiwar
mobilizations then, even violently assaulting the stage at many
rallies in an attempt to prevent it, so they are opposed to building
those kind of broad mobilizations today. Making the anti-Israeli
slogans a central demand of the march is an easy way to keep the march
pure of Democratic Party participation without saying so.
Unfortunately it also excludeds most of the and trade union movement
and Jewish community as well.

   Least anyone should accuse me of wanting to exclude paricipation of
marchers and organizations with anti-Israeli slogans that is not what
I am saying at all. I myself am the co-chair of a group called JADA,
the Jewish Arab Dialogue Associaton, here in South Florida, and both I
and my Palestinan counterpart have spoken frequently at antiwar
rallies here criticizing Israeli policies. Many times some marchers
cary Palestinian flags and have anti-Israeli signs, but the resolving
the issue of Israel / Palestine is not one of the demands of our
coalition precisly because it is so devisive in the antiwar movement.
Those on this list that want to ingnore this fact are just practicing
the same kind of destructive ultraleft antics that were so disasterous
when pacticed by the same political current during the anti Vietnam
War movement. As the old saying goes, " those who do not learn from
history are bound to repeat it"