[Marxism] March 17 and Antiwar Unity

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Feb 20 17:51:24 MST 2007

Bonnie wrote:
>UFPJs only rational reason for not uniting with A.N.S.W.E.R., therefore, can
>only be attributed to its wish to remain in good favor with the liberal wing
>of the Democratic Party--and this has nothing to do with the reality of the
>war itself and the Democratic Party's consistent financial and moral support
>of the war--the latter in the guise of "supporting our troops" who are in
>harms way.

No. There are other reasons besides the Democratic Party. People in
ANSWER are impossibly arrogant. I have direct experience with their
behavior. About 5 years ago I was invited to a meeting at the ANSWER
office to discuss a campaign to defend Milosevic, who had been
kidnapped and brought to the Hague to face charges in a kangaroo
court. Ed Herman's name came up. He had sent in $10 in response to a
fund-raising letter from the newly formed committee. They decided it
was not sufficient and sent the check back to him with a nasty
letter. When I heard about this, I told them I would not attend any
more meetings.

You are dealing with seriously fucked-up sectarians. People who split
with each other over differences that have never even been aired
publicly. God only knows why they split. If they can't work with
themselves--sharing the same Manichean Marcyite politics--how do you
expect them to work with other leftists? Of course, they do manage to
work with various Arab, Haitian and other oppressed minority
organizations. That's all well and good, but if they can't work in a
united front with other left groups, that's a problem.

I know that ANSWER claims that they have worked hard to unite with
UFPJ on joint actions, but my single exposure to them in one of their
meetings makes me believe that Leslie Cagan was on the level when she
said that it was too much of a hassle to deal with them.

This, by the way, should not be considered an endorsement of UFPJ. We
are obviously dealing with two very limited formations.