[Marxism] A Marxist analysis of the Simpsons

DCQ deeseekyou at comcast.net
Wed Feb 21 00:46:49 MST 2007

Doug,

While I enjoyed the analysis generally, I do take issue with your final
analysis, in which you essentially claim that the Simpson's time has
passed because it expressed the anxieties of a period of defeat--a
period which is now over.

A few things:

First, I don't agree that the rise in struggle has played a role in
killing the Simpsons. The writers don't "have" to relate to real,
topical events and scream "It's relevant!" They do this because it is
simpler than doing something more subtle and complex. That's riskier,
and for a major cash-cow like the SImpsons, risk is not something a
corporation handles well, or takes lightly. "The bigger your market,
the less you handle controversy." It is the pressures of capitalism
that killed the satirical edge of the Simpsons, not the end of the
period of defeats.

Secondly, I don't see that the period of defeats is necessarily--or at
least conclusively--over. Where are the victories? You mention Seattle,
but that was 7+ years ago. In this one respect, what I think killed the
Simpsons was precisely the continuing defeat, or at least the lack of a
clear shift toward victories for our side. There are signs, fits and
starts, of a revival, but no clear, actual revival. Big demonstrations,
with long periods of inactivity in between. In this environment, the
pure money-making success of the Simpsons was enough to drown it in
celebrity nonsense. The pressures of capitalism were greater on the
writers and creators than the pressures of popular sentiment. I still
think that we might liberate, not only ourselves, but the Simpsons as
well in a revival of serious popular and working class struggle. :)

In that sense, it's easy to see why the creative minds behind the
Simpsons opted to put so much energy into Futurama, a startlingly
brilliant show. If the Simpsons speaks to the alienation of a defeated
working class (and its children), the Futurama speaks to those children
who have now grown up and live in a completely alien world (or, at
least, our world populated by aliens), working dead-end jobs like
"delivery boy"--despite the huge leaps in technological progress. The
fact that the Fox corporate heads hated the show so much that they
intentionally torpedoed it speaks to how much they feared both a frank
discussion of these issues, and what people like Groening and David X.
Cohen could do if given the freedom.

And as for Family Guy, I think it's far more than fart jokes and
shallow satire. The show is simply damn funny. It is also a successor
to the Simpsons--not only because the Griffins could be considered
copyright violations of the Simpsons, but because they deal with the
same issues in a world where the working class seems to have been
completely absorbed and subsumed by ruling class ideology (see the
episode where Peter knocks out the town's TV satellite dish for an
example). Whereas the Simpsons always had a soft, mushy center where
family and love could always end a show on a happy note, Family Guy
spits on such sentimentality. It deals much more openly and harshly
with the realities of, say, gender oppression--through the character of
Meg, continually derided as ugly, and therefore inadequate, unlovable,
and forgettable. And if you want to see a downright revolutionary
cartoon, take a gander at the nuclear holocaust episode. The show is
far more sophisticated and thoughtful than, say, the nihilistic mania
of Southpark's Parker and Stone.

comradely,
DCQ