[Marxism] Pop station aims to unite Palestinians and Israelis

Nick Fredman srcsra at scu.edu.au
Sun Feb 25 17:40:30 MST 2007

The following article in the weekend Sydney Morning Herald outlined a new
English language commercial music and talk radio station aimed at middle
class Israelis and Palestinians, founded by South Africans with apparently
anti-apartheid credentials. While insipid pop music and earnestly objective
discussion for liberal yuppies are unlikely to save the world, I thought
this was an interesting example of the precarious and contradictory nature
of the current setup in Israel/Palestine: while the national oppression of
Palestinians and an exclusivist Jewish state are central to the interests of
the main fractions of the Israeli ruling class and of US imperialism for
strategic-political-ideological reasons, demographic pressures and the logic
of the market itself point towards a unitary state, in similar ways to
Northern Ireland.

Radio station hopes peace is in the air
Ed O'Loughlin, Herald Correspondent in Ramallah, West Bank
February 24, 2007
http://tinyurl.com/33pw54

[Excerpt]

The station will broadcast from the West Bank town of Ramallah to bypass
tight Israeli licensing restrictions, but it also has offices in Jerusalem.
Its staff of 25 includes Israeli and Palestinian broadcasters and
journalists.

"We are absolutely committed to telling both sides of the story and we are
supremely balanced, to the point of being absurd," says Mr Bolton, who is
also South African. "It helps a lot that English is a neutral language here.
Every staff member has to sign up to a strict editorial code to be
impartial, and we have a style guide which we have to workshop constantly so
as not to cause offence."

Because one man's "terrorist" is another man's "martyr", both words are
strictly banned. Even the station's name, Ram FM, can be interpreted as
referring to its broadcast base of Ramallah or to a Hebrew word meaning
"high".