[Marxism] Gulf states said ready to allow Israel oversights to attack Iran

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Mon Feb 26 15:54:42 MST 2007

I view this article a little suspiciously.  At the same time, there is some
supporting evidence for some allegations, such as the fact that Cheney is
currently in Oman.

The paragraph that struck me as strangest was the last, citing the "Kuwaiti
daily al-Siyassah" as quoting "Pentagon official saying that Turkey,
Afghanistan and Pakistan would assist Israeli raids on Iran."

I have my doubts that either Turkey or Afghanistan would be that likely to
tie up directly with Israel in attacking Iran.  Turkey because it has
extensive dealings with Iran, and Pakistan because of how explosive such
open collaboration would be internally.

I also question the likelihood of Afghanistan would want to be on record as
permitting the flights, although most likely Afghanistan has even less
control over its airspace than Iraq does.

Also I have never heard of "israelinsider" and have no way of knowing at
present how reliable it is about such matters.  Perhaps others on this list
are better informed.
Fred Feldman

Report: Gulf states give Israel ok to use airspace for strikes against Iran
By israelinsider staff and partners

02/25/07 "Israelinsider" -- February 25, 2007 --- Israel requested
permission from the United States to fly through Iraqi airspace, in case
Jerusalem should decide to attack Iran's nuclear facilities, a Ynet article
reported, citing a report Saturday in the Daily Telegraph.

A senior Israeli defense official said negotiations were underway for the US
to provide an 'air corridor' over Iraq.

However, Deputy Defense Minister Ephraim Sneh denied the report Saturday and
said any talk of an Israeli offensive against Iran was speculative alone.

Sneh said the reports apparently came from sources that did not want to
uphold responsibility for the diplomatic inaction regarding Iran's possible
nuclear armament.

In the event that Israel should target Iran's nuclear facilities, Israeli
war planes would have to fly across Iraq to reach their targets, for which
they need authorization from the Pentagon.

The Israeli defense official who spoke to the Telegraph said Israel was
"planning for every eventuality, and sorting out issues such as these are
crucially important."

"The only way to do this is to fly through US-controlled air space.
If we don't sort these issues out now we could have a situation where
American and Israeli war planes start shooting at each other," he added.

Meanwhile, on Sunday the Kuwaiti daily al-Siyassah reported that the Gulf
states of Oman and the UAE would allow Israel to use their airspace should
the Jewish state decide to launch preemptive strikes against Iran. The
report quoted European and Arab diplomats.

The newspaper also quoted a Pentagon official said saying that Turkey,
Afghanistan and Pakistan would assist Israeli raids on Iran.