[Marxism] Angry Monk

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 12:53:10 MST 2007

Very useful -- especially, as you say, the "comments of journalist Jamyang  Norbu, who derided the Western obsession with Tibetan spirituality."
  P.S. re those remarks: I believe the inaudible name is probably Prester  John. I mention this as the latter is a significant figure in early  Orientalist mythology.  Q: How does the West see Tibet?
    A: I think, primarily the West sees Tibet, to  some extent, as a fantasy land, as a Shangri La. Of course, this is a  kind of stereotype that has existed in the Western kind of perception  for a very long time, even before the movie “Lost Horizon,” the movie  was made. Initially, the perception came from ideas of medieval Europe  that they had of

 (inaudible), the Christian king who lived behind  the mountains of Gog and Magog, and who would come maybe to make the  whole of Asia a Christian country.