[Marxism] FW: Former Black Panther seeking Green Presidential Nomination

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Wed Feb 28 19:22:53 MST 2007

Elaine Brown calls for "broadening of the Green Party base" to make it a
voice for the "disaffected and disenfranchised poor and working people,
women and blacks, to galvanize them to vote for a real second party."

ML

---------

News Headlines

Elaine Brown to Seek Green Party Presidential Ticket

Former Black Panther Party leader, noted author, community and prison
justice activist Elaine Brown announced this week that she intends to seek
the Green Party¹s nomination for a presidential bid in 2008. "The 2006
elections signified a mass rejection of Bush¹s policies--not a shift to the
Democrats. We have arrived at a powerful moment when the majority of the
country is seeking a political alternative, toward embracing progressive
values and realizing a progressive agenda. I haven¹t seen this potential
since the 1960s."

Brown, who ran as a Green in the 2005 Brunswick, Georgia, mayoral election
where Republicans succeeded in illegally removing her name from both the
ballot and the voter roll, intends to run on a platform that addresses the
interests of poor and working families, in terms of living wages, free
healthcare, decent housing and increased funding for public education and
higher education; ending the war in Iraq; restoring the environment and
bringing about economic parity. Strategically, she intends to target
non-voters, specifically women under 30 and African Americans,
constituencies she believes are not represented by the nearly identical
agendas of the Democrat and Republican parties, stating these crucial
constituencies "have the power to build up an alternative party to truly
challenge the status quo."

"I believe I have the ability to raise consciousness among disaffected and
disenfranchised poor and working people, women and blacks, to galvanize them
to vote for a real second party. Such a broadening of the Green Party base
will allow us to start winning big time, at the state level and nationally,
so that we can overturn some of the most egregious policies and laws (like
the three strikes crime bill which has so devastated black communities) and
introduce progressive legislation. There are a lot of great community
organizations working for change, performing Sisyphean tasks that cannot
address the fundamental problems. I believe the time is right to use the
ballot to make the kinds of changes we know must be made to serve the people
we represent."

Brown stated she is running as a Green because: "Not only does the Green
Party support reparations for slavery, but the party¹s ten key values
represent the values and interests of poor and working people. Only the
Green Party offers clear positions on the needs of the people, in terms of a
living wage, decent housing, food, education, and medical care. The
Democrats and Republicans offer black and poor people nothing."

When asked what she hopes to achieve with her run, Brown said: "I know the
party can earn a significant increase in votes and membership, which will
increase our viability to take congressional seats, state house seats, and
local offices; so that we can really start changing the way government
operates."

The Green Party will nominate our Presidential and Vice-Presidential
candidates at our 2008 Convention. Anyone interested in seeking the Green
Party nomination should contact Greg Gerritt, on behalf of the Presidential
Campaign Support Committee, at (401) 331-0529 or Gerritt at mindspring.net.