[Marxism] October 27th demos

David McDonald dbmcdonald at comcast.net
Tue Oct 2 13:31:41 MDT 2007

Hari Kumar wrote:

I assume that the original poster deemed my query simply below his
dignity to reply.

David McDonald comments:

1. Following the largest antiwar protests in history on February 15th,
2003, the US antiwar movement split into two main (but unequal)
segments: United for Peace and Justice and the A.N.S.W.E.R. Coalition,
the title reading in full Act Now to Stop War and End Racism. The former
coalition represented and represents many mainstream organizations with
ties to the Democratic Party, although by no means is it limited to
those organizations. The latter represented the Worker World Party and
various organizations of the left that agreed with its politics, which I
shall state baldly and perhaps without sufficient nuance as the need for
the antiwar movement to take up all anti-imperialist causes.

2. ANSWER's politics, in brief, were that the antiwar movement needed to
take up all the struggles across the earth against imperialism,
formally, in slogans, demands, speakers, and so forth. It thus lead to
demonstrations with idiotic slogans like "U.S. Out of Everywhere." I'm
not kidding. I think of this as being roughly synonymous with the
Spartacist League's famous demand during the Vietnam War, "All Indochina
Must Go Communist." What a unifier!

3. In practice UfPJ disappeared during US election cycles or limited its
politics to slogans acceptable to the Democratic Party, such as the main
slogan of the fall 2004 demo they called just before the Republican
convention in New York City with the equivocal slogan "Down with the
Bush Agenda." Equivocal, I say, because such slogans seemed to me to
avoid the question of the war and to be tailored to not offend those in
the Democratic Party, first and foremost its presidential nominee, who
equivocated on the question of ending the Iraq War. Here is the
difference between holding a demonstration that ATTRACTS the Democratic
Party base  with politics that the base endorses and the leaders ignore,
regardless of the stance of the leaders, and organizing a demonstration
that gives cover to the shitty politics of the DP leaders. UfPJ's
approach, in my opinion, was a wholesale capitulation to the sentiment
"Anybody But Bush" that swept the Democratic Party into an unsuccessful
presidential campaign led by the woeful and awful John Kerry.

4. Along with these political differences, we must also note the
disparity between the sizes of the demonstrations that these two dueling
organizations were able to organize. In 2004 New York City
demonstratons, it was about 10 to 1 in favor of UfPJ, (250,000 to
25,000), UfPJ's shitty politics and ANSWER's anti-imperialist politics
notwithstanding. This confirmed my belief (and that of many others) that
ANSWER ought to lead its forces into the UfPJ Coalition or at least to
its events and stop pretending that it could take UfPJ and the Democrats
on frontally. It needed to stop pretending it could amass the kinds of
forces that would be able to influence the government and give adequate
voice  to the people's yearning for peace and hatred for the Iraq War,
and find a way to work with UfPJ in the name of unity.

5. People are not stupid. How can an antiwar movement that cannot even
agree on a common time, place, date and basic idea for a demonstration
possibly hope to effect world politics? My answer: it can't, and that's
among the reasons that people have stayed away from antiwar
demonstrations in droves ever since. What place disunity may have among
the pantheon for reasons to avoid antiwar demonstrations is not my
point; I do argue that it a cause, and that since it is there, and since
we have control over whether or not to present a disunited face to the
public, we are obligated  to work to present and preserve the unity of
antiwar forces if we can do so without betraying the cause of opposition
to the war. Especially since the consciously anti-imperialist forces are
unable to muster anything like the crowds the mainstream organizations
bring out. Further, by talking to ourselves in little coalition, we lose
the opportunity to have an impact on the politics of the big coalition.
It is what we in the SWP used to call "capturing yourself."

6. I was therefore pleased to learn this summer that ANSWER had decided
to endorse the slogan ("End the War Now") and the logistics (regional
demonstrations in ~9 cities) and to work in a common coalition with UfPJ
for this fall's main demonstration. Note, please, that it is now
possible to speak of this fall's demonstration in the singular. I have
reported several times on the Seattle organizing effort.

7. The fact that my posts about the unity of the movement in practice
have elicited almost no response from anyone on this list is quite
disheartening, leading me once again in the direction of thinking that
the "activists" in the title of the list is mostly bullshit, at least as
far as mass politics is concerned. The fact that the two people who DID
respond were, in once case, attempting to pretend that a stupendous (and
very positive) change in political orientation exists only in my
imagination, and in the second case (yours) expressed interest only in a
dead-end Enver Hoxha zombie sect, is not re-assuring. That is why I did
not respond to your post. My apologies.