[Marxism] October 27th demos

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 2 18:06:55 MDT 2007

David:

> 5. People are not stupid. How can an antiwar movement that cannot even

> agree on a common time, place, date and basic idea for a demonstration

> possibly hope to effect world politics?

No doubt a single unified, larger demonstration would have a larger impact. Would it actually "effect world politics"? I know those of us who put our energy into building such demos hope so, but it's certainly not a given.

> My answer: it can't, and that's

> among the reasons that people have stayed away from antiwar

> demonstrations in droves ever since.

That is a completely unproven assertion which I challenge. Think about the huge pre-war demonstrations. Could the majority of the attendees at those even tell you what the initials UfPJ or A.N.S.W.E.R. stand for? I doubt it.

As I've written before, to me it almost goes without saying that the reason people have "stayed away from antiwar demonstrations in droves" (at least, in comparison to pre-war demonstrations) is that before the war, they felt like their actions WOULD "effect world politics" and now they feel like they won't. I don't believe it has ANYTHING to do with the differences between the antiwar groups.