[Marxism] The Secret Dealings of Israel, Iran, and the United States

John Edmundson Johnedmundson at paradise.net.nz
Tue Oct 2 18:13:47 MDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 16:09 -0700, Paula wrote:
> John wrote
>
> > I think Japan would qualify.
>
> John, I agree. The obvious question then is, if Japan is imperialist, why
> not China?

Actually, your original question (or claim) was that Iran was
imperialist. China was not part of the original statement. I do think
that China's rapid economic growth and the rapid transition back to
capitalism does mean there is a case to be made that China is becoming
an imperialist country. Louis's comment about the way that a country
without a military expansionist role (such as Sweden) can still act in
an imperialist manner thanks to the dirty work of the overt imperialists
or the IMF etc is useful in this respect. Chinese involvement in third
world countries, especially in Africa, certainly look increasingly like
economic imperialism.

Iran however is very different. To sustain the claim that Iran is an
imperialist country, you would need to find behaviour of a similar type
on the part of Iran. The alleged assistance Iran gives to Islamic
militants and Palestinian groups does not qualify. If simply providing
military aid to sympathetic groups was *in itself* sufficient, we would
have to accuse Cuba of imperialism in Angola in the struggle against
Apartheid. Clearly this would be a sorry distortion of the term
imperialist. If Iranian support successfully brought about pro-Iranian
regimes in say Iraq, Lebanon or Palestine, and then Iranian companies
moved into those countries, we might then say that Iran was becoming an
imperialist country. Until something like that happens, I think any such
claims are on shaky ground.

> Thank you for all the information you sent on New Zealand. It helps us
> consider how New Zealand - Iran - China would compare.

I hope so :-)

One of the things I didn't say (perhaps it is self explanatory) is that
New Zealand companies have followed hard on the heels of the NZ police
and military interventions in East Timor and the Solomons etc to profit
from the reconstruction work.
Cheers,
John