[Marxism] Gorbachev speaks to Miami students

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 3 13:45:44 MDT 2007

(Cuba's healthcare and education systems are great achievements, Gorbachev
said in a press conference after his speech to students. Americans should
not "demonize" Castro, he added. "He is a person and a capable leader.")

MIKHAIL GORBACHEV: THE LAST WALL
http://www.worldcitizens.org/cubanblockade.html

MIAMI HERALD
Posted on Wed, Oct. 03, 2007
Gorbachev speaks to Miami students
BY JORGE VALENCIA

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami_dade/story/258537.html

The man whose efforts brought an end to Communism in Eastern Europe
offered this advice Tuesday on Cuban-American relations:

''The way to go is to try to end the confrontation,'' Mikhail
Gorbachev said while in Miami on Tuesday. ``Americans should not seek
revenge toward Cuba.''

Earlier in the day, the former leader of the Soviet Union spoke to
500 students, teachers and benefactors at Ransom Everglades School in
Coconut Grove.

They heard him weigh in on democracy -- ``You built democracy in 300
years. How do you expect [Russia] to build democracy in 300 days?''

The answer, Gorbachev told them, is through leadership and peace.

''Russia is only half way -- at best -- there,'' he said through an
interpreter.

Gorbachev spoke in Russian, flanked by a Russian flag to his left and
a U.S. flag to his right.

Though widely unpopular in his native country after the fall of the
Iron Curtain, Gorbachev was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1990. He
has been praised as the person who brought free speech and human
rights to Eastern Europe. And at Ransom Everglades, he was recognized
as an important historical figure.

'I think whenever I hear the name `Gorbachev,' my attention rises,''
said Charlie Barr, a junior at Ransom Everglades and editor of the
school newspaper. ``In history books, you read about Reagan, Yeltsin
and Gorbachev. Now that you've seen him in person, you pay
attention.''

Afterward, Gorbachev held a news conference, where he spoke of the
only communist regime in the Western Hemisphere.

Cuba's healthcare and education systems are great achievements,
Gorbachev said in a press conference after his speech to students.
Americans should not ''demonize'' Castro, he added. ``He is a person
and a capable leader.''

One more thing:

``And I think Cubans outside should take the right attitude. They
should seek ways of cooperation.''

The comments were not surprising, said one University of Miami
political science professor. Elise Giuliano did not attend Tuesday's
speech, but specializes in Russian politics and has followed
Gorbachev's career.

''His relationship [with Cuba] was warm and friendly,'' Giuliano
said. ``Just like any other Soviet leader.''