[Marxism] On the US antiwar movement.

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Fri Oct 5 21:49:52 MDT 2007

Much of the criticism seems reasonable, though other parts are problematic.
It's very hard to see how ANSWER could keep people from bringing "funny"
signs.  And there's much to argue for making your point in a wide variety of
ways, in hopes that one or another might have an impact.

The problem in the U.S. is that the kind of self-centered, self-preoccupied
behavior the culture cultivates boils down to good old-fashioned deference
in the political and civic realm.  Demonstrators of any sort have a tough
time breaking through that, even among people who agree with the cause for
which you are demonstrating.

This is an old problem from the Vietnam era, of course.  The vast majority
hated the war, but, depending on the count, most of the antiwar sentiment
was also hostile to public demonstrations over it.

I have to say that the problem today seems to be much worse. And it's not
just the absence of the draft that keeps demonstrations small.  We now have
many more people who've voluntarily entered the military with us on these
issues.

ML