[Marxism] On the US antiwar movement.

Pat Costello pt_costello at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 6 13:31:02 MDT 2007

The whole tone of this article is sneering and
unserious. Many of  this writer's complaints are the
same ones raised by the major news media and have been
echoed by the likes of the leader of the facist
Gathering of Eagles (forget his name at the moment).

The writer says:
"Promising when they told reporters, two days before
their protest, that hundreds of thousands of people
would attend their protest..."

HOWEVER the link he provides quotes Brian Becker as
saying TENS of thousands. There are other inaccuracies
but not worthwhile to go into.

The writer makes an issue of the fact that the permit
states 10,000. The permit is a legal formality and
requires an number. It is not necessarily what one
thinks or hopes for in terms of actual particiapants.

Under the heading "Don't Fuck the Police", he suggests
that the police are our potential allies. I presume it
is unnecessary on a Marxist list to explain why that
is a LAUGHABLE idea.

The writer places great importance of media coverage.
The media is not simply "biased and shallow", it is a
ruling class institution. It is not and will not be
our ally. UFPJ takes the tact that good media coverage
is the key to everything and for that reason puts
movie stars and politicians on the speakers platform.
That is one of the reasons that Cindy Sheehan, Iraq
Veterans Against the War and Gold Star Families have
left UFPJ and joined ANSWER.

The writer suggests that protests do not work. Just
the other day there was an interesting post on this
list from William Blum that included these quotes:

Howard Zinn: "People think there must be some magical
tactic, beyond the traditional ones -- protests,
demonstrations, vigils, civil disobedience -- but
there is no magical panacea, only persistence."

Noam Chomsky: "There are no magic answers, no
miraculous methods to overcome the problems we face,
just the familiar ones: honest search for
understanding, education, organization, action that
raises the cost of state violence for its perpetrators
or that lays the basis for institutional change -- and
the kind of commitment that will persist despite the
temptations of disillusionment, despite many failures
and only limited successes, inspired by the hope of a
brighter future."

http://members.aol.com/bblum6/aer50.htm