[Marxism] Young Maltese in solidarity with revolutionary Cuba

Michael Briguglio mikes_beat at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 7 03:30:31 MDT 2007

Young Maltese in solidarity with revolutionary Cuba

http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=58574
The Malta Independent on Sunday 7 October 2007

For the first time ever, a Maltese took part in a solidarity event in Cuba,
news agency Granma reported.

With an overwhelming participation by young people, the 47th Contingent of
the José Martí European Brigade for Solidarity with Cuba was present on the
island from 1 to 23 September and took part in agricultural activities, met
with well-known figures and visited places of political and social interest.

Likewise, brigade members took part in conferences on Cuban realities today,
the situation of the five Cubans imprisoned in the United States for
fighting terrorism, and the struggle to end the economic blockade.

On this occasion, the group was made up of 108 members from 17 countries,
including Britain, Italy and Spain, which brought the largest number of
brigadistas.

According to 20-year-old Maltese André Damato, "I have never been to Cuba
and I came to express my solidarity with this country. We feel very proud to
represent Malta for the first time. This is a unique experience for me. Once
we're in Cuba, we can talk with the people, have interviews with well-known
individuals, visit the city and get to know Cuban culture better. At the
same time, our stay here means that we can exchange with people from other
European countries who share the same ideologies and lines of thinking as
ourselves."