[Marxism] The Secret Dealings of Israel, Iran, and the United States

Paula Paula_cerni at msn.com
Sun Oct 7 23:55:47 MDT 2007

Dennis wrote:
> Iran may not be a hegemonic power today but it's certainly the remnant
> of a large imperial state that vied with other empires (Czarist Russia,
> Ottoman Turkey, Imperial Britain) for control of territory (Kurdistan,
> Azerbaijan, Afghanistan, Baluchistan). As a reflection of its former
> imperial
> status nearly half the people living within modern Iran's borders belong
> an ethnic minority.

Interestingly, the modern heirs of these old empires - Iran, Russia, Turkey
and Britain - are at present some of the key players in the region.
Additionally we have the US and now even China (eg, through the Shanghai
Co-operation Organization, an alliance set up in 2001 involving China,
Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan). The combined
effect of the rise of Asia and the break up of the Soviet Union seems to
have heightened competition over this resource-rich area of the world.

By chance I was just re-reading a copy of The Economist dated August 4th
2001 (ie, before 9/11) and found the following report:
"Last week an Iranian naval vessel forced two oil-exploration ships,
British-owned and run jointly with an Azerbaijani company, away from a
disputed bit of the Caspian Sea. Iran then sent military aircraft twice into
air space claimed by Azerbaijan and said that, as the borders were not
determined, it was doing nothing wrong .... The Azerbaijani media meanwhile
quoted a senior Iranian official recalling that Azerbaijan was once an
Iranian province .... Aliar Safarli, a former ambassador to Tehran, claimed
to have evidence that "every year Iran allocates over $50m for acts of
sabotage in Azerbaijan." .... But the row highlights the decade-old failure
to decide how to divide the Caspian Sea, and its mineral resources, after
the Soviet Union's collapse .... All five countries want their share, or
preferably rather more than their share, of the estimated 70 billion to 200
billion barrels .... The West broadly backs Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan, where
their oil companies have invested heavily. But only Russia and Iran have a
significant naval presence in the Caspian .... The large Azeri-speaking
population in northern Iran feels put-upon. It would like more rights for
its language (akin to Turkish) and culture. Some Azeri nationalists dream of
unifying all their compatriots in one country. Iran sees a western-backed,
pan-Turkic conspiracy behind such talk ..."

Paula