[Marxism] Fwd: Ball (Green) For President! Benefit Friday October 12; Hawkins Announces As IL Stand-in For Nader; ILGP Mtg Oct 13 and 14

Alex Briscoe obeynow20001 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 10:28:19 MDT 2007

--- Alex Briscoe <obeynow20001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

Jared Ball is running in the Green Party Presidential
Primary and will be appearing at a benefit for his
campaign at Casa Azatlan, Friday October 12th at
7PM, at Casa Aztlan, 1831 S. Racine.

Howie Hawkins of New York has also just announced that
he will be running as a presidential stand-in
candidate for Ralph Nader in Illinois.  Contact Kevin
O'Connor at kevinogreener at gmail.com to help us collect
signatures to put Howie on the ballot too.

The Illinois Green Party will be having it's state
meeting to discuss various national to local
candidacies from Saturday October 13th to Sunday
October 14th in Crystal Lake, IL.  To attend, go to
wwww.ilgp.org for more information.

Because the Illinois Green Party is now established,
our signature requirements for President, Congress,
State Legislature, etc are much lower this time but
they are still there.  We are expecting to ramp up
collection from here on, in to the November 4th
deadline.  Please contact Kevin and the ILGP to help
petition, do database work, etc.  We can do this
together!

A statement from Jared's website at
http://www.voxunion.com/jaredball/meetjared.html is
below:

....I have accepted an invitation (to run for Green
Party Presidential nomination) to do this for several
reasons. First among them are the horrendous and
entirely unacceptable conditions of a majority of the
people of this nation and world. To best address those
conditions a new party is needed, a new style of
politics is needed and we are developing just that
kind of campaign. While looking to bring something new
we are also looking to do so on the basis of some old
and forgotten (or suppressed) politics.

First among them are those of Dr. Martin Luther King,
Jr. whose genuine goals have long been forcibly hidden
beneath the frozen and isolated description of a
dream. But 2008 being the 40th anniversary of his
assassination demands that we run such a campaign on
the basis of King’s truly revolutionary positions of
calling for radical political organization around an
end to systems which reproduce white supremacy,
militarism and gross inequalities in wealth and access
to society’s benefits. That campaign is here.

I have long been disillusioned with electoral politics
and since 1992 only voted for members of the Green
Party or those whose unaffiliated status necessitated
that I write them onto the ballot. I joined the DC
Statehood/Green Party several years ago specifically
because it was the only electoral political party
overtly, as clear by name, in favor of statehood for
those colonized in the nation’s capitol and a broader
platform which speaks to the continuing needs of a
majority of the nation and world.

I am not running to further bolster the mythology of
the vote as panacea. I am not running for simple
symbolism. I am running because the true majority of
women, the poor, Black, Latino and Indigenous people
need organization, need a place to cohere and the
Green Party is the structure with the expressed
platform that can provide just that kind of liberated
space and I am the candidate that can properly
articulate such a need.

The party’s freedom from corporate dominance, its
commitment to social justice and redistribution of
society’s wealth and service and its call for
diversity are far more substantive than those false
claims of such made with varying degrees by other
parties. It is time to build a genuine populist party,
one built on the proper politics of those who, like
Kwame Ture once made clear, are no longer willing to
accept the lesser of evil because, “we will not vote
for evil, period.”

To that end we are developing a campaign which seeks
to break convention by centering attention and focus
on culture, those most oppressed and those who have
long since given up on the vote and are looking for a
new politics and new organizations. We are working
with “the mayor of DC hip-hop” Head-Roc and others to
provide a hip-hop and progressive artist tour which
will reach out to the Indigenous, Black, Latino and
poor communities who will help us develop new bases of
support for the Green Party.

This style of campaign will be brash and powerful
representing the necessarily unorthodox politics we
need and which are represented best by the Green
Party. We are not targeting Democrats, Republicans or
others to “steal” votes. We are not engaged in an
effort to upset one or another major party candidacy
as we do not see either as being able to legitimately
represent the needs of the true majority and,
therefore, see no reason to assist in the sabotage or
ascendance of one or the other. And while we are not
expecting to “win” the presidency we are expecting to
help build a party to build community, society and a
new world....

...We are working with “the mayor of DC hip-hop”
Head-Roc and others to provide a hip-hop and
progressive artist tour which will reach out to the
Indigenous, Black, Latino and poor communities who
will help us develop new bases of support for the
Green Party....

http://www.ilgp.org http://www.northsidegreenparty.org
http://www.greenallianceusa.org
http://www.labornotes.org http://www.solidarity-us.org
http://www.internationalviewpoint.org

This email was cleaned by emailStripper, available for
free from http://www.papercut.biz/emailStripper.htm