[Marxism] Indian Communists challenge nuclear initiatives

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 9 11:28:25 MDT 2007

In time we'll see if the leverage which the Indian Communists
have through their parliamentary support to the government is
actually translatable into being able to veto a decision which
is as important as this one for India as a whole. Should that
actually happen, it would be quite a remarkable achievement.

It's not something which can be counted on, that's for sure.
Anyway, I'm sure that there's a great deal we can all learn
from their experience. It appears, on the surface, to have a
good number of similarities with the situation in South Africa
where the ANC government is also supported by the Communist
Party, though in South Africa, the CP never runs against the
ANC, while in India they run against the bourgeois parties.

Note the comment about how the Indian CPs are less corrupt
than the other parties, on the one hand, but note that their
is growing support for armed struggle by the Naxalites who
get support from the layers of society who are suffering
under capitalism's expansion there.

Would like to hear something about the social layers who
support the different Communist Parties, and whatever the
regional and historical reasons for these might be. Thanks.

Marla, please help us out here. Thanks.

Walter Lippmann
Los Angeles, California

.