[Marxism] Indian Communists challenge nuclear initiatives

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 10 10:48:51 MDT 2007

Thanks for explaining this. I very much appreciate the time.

Some day, when you have the time, please explain how the
Indian political arrangement works. I know that it's a
parliamentary system, but I'm not clear on how large the
Congress Party's representation is in your parliament.

It's my understanding is that Congress Party is the biggest,
but it needs the support of various other parties to be able
to pass legislation. In India, the Communist Parties run for
office against Congress, unlike in South Africa where they
don't do that. This gives the Communists in India a certain
amount of legislative leverage, which, by contrast South
Africa's Communist Party doesn't have since it doesn't have
a distinct parliamentary representation. Also, I think that
some in the US tend to underestimate the importance of these
national sovereignty issues. Of course, that's also what's
involved in the question of Iran and its nuclear program.
Thanks again.

Walter Lippmann
Los Angeles, California

WALTER LIPPMANN