[Marxism] Lee Bollinger statement

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Oct 10 13:09:16 MDT 2007

(This statement would have more of an impact if he hadn't created an
atmosphere of intolerance in his introduction to Ahmadinejad.)

Dear fellow member of the Columbia community:

As most of you now know, a terrible incident of bias occurred at
Teachers College yesterday, directed at a member of the faculty.
Teachers College is a cherished affiliate of Columbia University with
its own president, Susan Fuhrman, to whom I have offered our support and
assistance. We may be two independent institutions, but we are one
community; and we stand together in our commitment to oppose the
frightening sentiments that lay behind this act.

Tolerance and mutual respect are among the core values of our diverse
community, and all of us must confront acts of hate whenever they occur
within it. As I said last night, an attack on the dignity of any member
of our community is an assault on all of us.

I will be meeting with student leaders this afternoon, and other members
of the administration will be communicating with faculty and students in
the coming days. Our mission as a university includes addressing the
most important and searing issues of our time, and we have a particular
obligation to respond forcefully to events that affront our values.

Sincerely,

Lee C. Bollinger