[Marxism] Indian Communists win the Fight against Indo-US Nuclear Deal?

Marla Vijaya kumar marlavk at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 12 10:14:54 MDT 2007

    Walter,
      I want all our comrades to appreciate the fact this is a  great victory in the fight against US  imperialism. The deal was worked out secretly, keeping the Indian Parliament in  the dark. Neither were the constituents of the ruling coalition, supporting the  Congress party were kept informed, let alone the Communists who were extending  outside support and on whose crucial support the government survives.
      The government went so far ahead with the deal, that when it  came out, it took it up as a matter of prestige and defended the deal and  invented all sorts of excuses to push the deal through. The big business and  the upper classes, who would have been the biggest beneficiaries of closer link-up  with US enthusiastically took over the job of defending the deal, manufacturing  (or shall we say cooking-up) popular consent in the all-too cooperative Big Biz  Press.
      On the US  side, the deal would have given a great leverage to the US  to arm twist India  into serving US global interests. Condolezza Rice, taking for granted that US  already has India  in its pocket had started giving lessons to India  on how to dump non-alignment.
      Now the Indian Communists will wage a fight against the  closer military links between US and India.
      Vijaya Kumar Marla