[Marxism] Indo-US Nuclear Deal: Sinking Ship (?)

Sukla Sen suklasenp at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 12 22:10:21 MDT 2007

[The domestic opposition to the 'deal' within India
has apparently sealed its fate. There is no official
confirmation though, at least as yet. But the signals
are loudly beeping.

The opposition, one must however note, is not because
the 'deal' would jeopardise the global
non-proliferation order and thereby the prospects of
nuclear disarmament but as it would allegedly
circumscribe India's "nuclear sovereignty" - the right
and ability to operate as a rogue state - somewhat on
the model of Israel.
The Left opposition is of course opposed to strategic
ties with the US, but at the same time, very much like
the Right, it also sees joining any multilateral
control regime affecting India's weapons programme a
profoundly negative development - curtailment of
"national sovereignty".
So this has its own serious negative implications.

But right now it's time to celebrate in so far as the
'deal' appears to be blocked, at least for the time
being.]

I/II.
http://publication.samachar.com/pub_article.php?id=430194

N-deal may go back to drawing board
13 Oct 2007, 0028 hrs IST,TNN

NEW DELHI: What happens to the Indo-US nuclear deal if
the strong signals that have been sent out by the UPA
government actually herald the end of the deal? Well,
if India is unprepared to take the next step, both
India and the US will have to go back to the drawing
board in the next US administration.

The deal, as it stands now, is only an agreed text
between the two countries, which has not been signed
by both sides. It was negotiated at great cost between
the two sides with a separation plan that was a
declared policy statement by the Indian government.

But it was not signed by the two governments, and it
is not approved by the US Congress, which means in the
US, certainly, it has no legal sanction. The next US
administration can work with the Indian government in
two ways — they can take the agreed text as a given
and work on the next steps. Or they can reopen the
text — which will then open a can of worms because
both sides will want to put in terms that will
inevitably not be agreeable to the other side. "India
got such a great deal because ultimately, the Bush
administration wanted to accommodate India," a
government source said. That may not be true for the
next administration.

In 2003, the previous NDA government had negotiated
the "Next Steps in Strategic Partnership" that
included India-US cooperation in civil nuclear
cooperation, export controls, high-tech cooperation
and missile defence. The UPA government did not take
the NSSP forward so it was deemed to have been
"completed", because the UPA government went for
something much bigger, and got it.

II.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Sonia_PM_rule_out_early_polls_freeze_nuclear_deal/articleshow/2454155.cms

Sonia, PM rule out early polls, freeze nuclear deal
13 Oct 2007, 0038 hrs IST,TNN

NEW DELHI: A day after The Times of India's October 11
lead story, 'UPA develops cold feet on N-deal', both
Sonia Gandhi and the Prime Minister all but confirmed
that the nuclear agreement with the US has been pushed
to the backburner and that saving the government is of
paramount importance.

In the showdown with the Left, there's little doubt
that the Congress-led UPA government has blinked.
Singh, the architect of the deal, acknowledged as much
when he said at a function in the capital on Friday,
"We are not a single-issue government. If the deal
does not come through, it will be a disappointment.
But in life, one has to live with certain
disappointments and move on."

Politics, he added, was the "art of the possible" and
"in politics we must survive short-term battles to
address long-term concerns". Failure to push the 123
agreement through wouldn't be the "end of life", he
said in a tone that indicated that he was already
looking at life beyond the deal.

The PM, who was seen to have staked his personal stock
on the conclusion of the landmark nuclear agreement
with the US, said, "Elections are still far away and
the government has one and a half years to complete
its term. I hope and expect we will stay the course."

Minutes later, Sonia Gandhi left little to doubt when
asked about the crisis. "Though we will try to bring
about a consensus on the nuclear issue, we are
certainly not in favour of early elections. As the
Prime Minister has said, the deadline is 2009. We are
going to do all we can to see that we implement our
programmes until 2009. We need to go till the end of
the full term."