[Marxism] Response to "Peak Water"

glparramatta glparramatta at greenleft.org.au
Tue Oct 16 16:45:47 MDT 2007

   From Bad to Thirst

    How the nation's breadbasket is poisoning its own water supply

By Elizabeth Royte

In late September, the corn and soybean fields of the lower Missouri
River floodplain are a lovely dull brown, nearly ready for harvest. The
row crops sprawl as far as the eye can see, their regimental march
broken only by levees, gravel roads, the occasional band of cottonwoods,
and the endless tracks of the Burlington Northern and Santa Fe. The
scenery is pastoral and soothing. But this abundance, and the security
it evokes, has a darker underside. The nation's breadbasket, it turns
out, is poisoning the water.

The Mississippi River basin, which includes the Missouri River, drains
1.83 million square miles east of the Rocky Mountains and provides
drinking water to more than 18 million people. The river receives not
only the effluent of all those humans, but also that of their crops and
cows.

Of the many threats to drinking water in this region, which includes 65
percent of America's cropland, farming is by far the worst.

Full:
http://www.grist.org/cgi-bin/printthis.pl?uri=/feature/2007/10/16/mississippi/index.html