[Marxism] L.A. City Council passes Iraq withdrawal resolution, by 12-2

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 17 21:54:18 MDT 2007

knbc.com

LA City Council Adopts Resolution To End Iraq War
Resolution Calls For Withdrawal Of All U.S. Troops From Iraq

http://www.knbc.com/news/14354244/detail.html?rss=la&psp=news

POSTED: 1:59 pm PDT October 16, 2007 UPDATED: 6:28 pm PDT October 16,
2007 LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles City Council adopted a resolution
Tuesday calling for an end to the war in Iraq, making it the largest
city in the nation to make such a call.

"Today the city of Los Angeles is sending a message loud and clear
-end the war in Iraq," Councilman Bill Rosendahl said, drawing cheers
from an anti-war audience packing the council chamber.

"We are calling for an immediate and complete withdrawal of United
States military personnel from Iraq," said Rosendahl, who introduced
the resolution. "We have lost too many of our young men and women to
this illegal and unjust war."

The resolution passed on a 12-2 vote, with Dennis Zine and Greig
Smith dissenting. Councilman Jose Huizar was not present for the
vote.

Rosendahl said that among the more than 3,500 members of the military
who have died in Iraq, 409 came from California, including 115 from
the Los Angeles area and 25 from the city.

"Supporting our troops does not mean keeping them in Iraq," he said.
"Supporting our troops means taking them out of this war and bringing
them home."

Rosendahl said the expense of fighting the war has meant that more
than $4.5 billion in tax revenues have been diverted from Los
Angeles.

"This war has diverted funds that could be used for important
domestic needs that would improve the quality of life for Los Angeles
residents," he said.

Copyright 2007 by KNBC.com and KNBC (NBC4 Los Angeles). All rights
reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or
redistributed.

WALTER LIPPMANN
Editor-in-Chief, CubaNews
writer - photographer - activist