[Marxism] capitalism in china and....?

michael a. lebowitz mlebowit at sfu.ca
Sun Oct 21 13:01:57 MDT 2007

	I hate to say it but I think there is another point that has been
overlooked in the discussion of what David has called 'Walter's
obsession in seeing China as not capitalist'. (I hate to say this
because I greatly value the service Walter performs in disseminating
important news about what is happening in Cuba.) If Walter can not
see what is happening in China, and if he refuses to examine the
relations of production or to study what others have demonstrated
about developments there, then can we trust that he will be able to
discern the emergence of similar tendencies in Cuba?
	There is an important debate (which is to say, struggle of lines)
occurring in Cuba right now, and how that will be resolved ultimately
is unclear. Obviously, even in the worse case scenario, Cuba will not
mimic China precisely. (I commented in the Marx Conference in Havana
over 4 years ago that it was easy to follow the Chinese model--- all
you need is 500 million peasants to oppress to drive into the cities
where they can be exploited at low wages by multinational
corporations.) Happily, that worse case scenario has not occurred
yet-- although the tendencies are present. But, if Cuba does start
down the Chinese path with Cuban dance steps, will Walter's judgement
be reliable? And, if anyone points this out, will we be accused of
carrying out a 'campaign' against Cuba?
	Really, this is a plea to Walter to stop telling us what he used to
believe in whatever groups he was in or what other hated groups
believed--- and, instead, do what a Marxist should do: study the
relations of production in China and elsewhere concretely.
	michael
Michael A. Lebowitz
Professor Emeritus
Economics Department
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C., Canada V5A 1S6

Director, Programme in 'Transformative Practice and Human Development'
Centro Internacional Miranda, P.H.
Residencias Anauco Suites, Parque Central, final Av. Bolivar
Caracas, Venezuela
fax: 0212 5768274/0212 5777231
http//:centrointernacionalmiranda.gob.ve
mlebowit at sfu.ca