[Marxism] Nietzsche's Encounters with Wagner

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Oct 22 19:14:56 MDT 2007

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 20:59:16 -0400 "Mark Lause" <MLause at cinci.rr.com>
writes:

> My own appreciation of Nietzsche--like that of most Americans of my
> generation--is rooted in the translations and biographical work of
> Walter
> Kaufman, the German born Jewish scholar who taught philosophy at
> Princeton
> for over thirty years.  To a great extent, Kaufman saved Nietzsche's
> reputation from William L. Shirer's kind of wartime shorthand that
> saw
> virtually every German thinker as a forerunner of the Nazis.  I'd
> include in
> that genre Leopold Schwarzschild's 1947 biography of Marx with the
> telling
> title _The Red Prussian_.  Left to this, everything that came out of
> central
> Europe becomes nothing but Liberty Cabbage, doesn't it?

I discussed Nietzsche on this list back in July.
See:

http://lists.econ.utah.edu/pipermail/marxism/2007-July/014530.html

> In contrast, Kaufman saw Nietzsche as one of the forerunners of
> existentialism.  In this light, the political implications of
> Nietzsche's
> work--and it appeal among some radicals--makes a great deal more
> sense,
> right?

Nietzsche can be regarded as a forerunner of existentialism,
analytic philosophy, and pragmatism.  And the French
pomos, especially Foucault, claimed him for their own
as well.

Jim F.