[Marxism] Nietzsche's Encounters with Wagner

Graham M. gkmilner at v-app.com.au
Fri Oct 26 10:55:27 MDT 2007

I don't believe that you are correct about Walter Kaufmann being the first
scholar to translate Nietzsche into English.   The Oscar Levy translation of
many of Nietzsche's works was completed in the early years of the 20th
century, I am pretty sure.   Levy's translations of 'The Case of Wagner',
'Nietzsche  contra Wagner', 'Ecce Homo', and 'The Birth of Tragedy' were the
ones I used for my essay.   They seemed to me to be very readable
translations.

   Someone on this list mentioned that Kaufmann edited 'The Portable
Nietzsche', which I think contains the complete text of 'Thus Spake
Zarathustra'.   I have a separate Penguin edition of 'Thus Spake
Zarathustra', translated and with a preface by Kaufmann.

                                                 Best regards,

                                                             Graham Milner