[Marxism] October 27 Anti-War marches

Eli Stephens elishastephens at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 29 08:11:21 MDT 2007

For a collection of local news coverage (5 different channels) of the San
Francisco march, see the YouTube video I put together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lleNr7Cp-i0

San Francisco was a solid 30,000, counted by three different people at three
different times and locations (number of people passing per minute=700-800 x 40
minutes march length). The most significant thing that's missing from the news
coverage, which I actually had in an earlier version of the video using my own
footage but then it got bumped because of the 10-minute YouTube limitation, was
the huge (thousands strong) union contingent, 5 or 6 (at least) organized union
contingents. The last channel in the video (Ch. 2) actually shows it a bit (not
the size), but doesn't explain what it's showing; it's the start of that
segment. Not unprecedented on a historical scale, of course, but definitely
something that hasn't happened in quite a while.

Also new a large contingent of Ron Paul supporters with LARGE signs, much larger
than the Kucinich crowd which was not organized and just a person here and there.

ANSWER has a good roundup of reports from some of the demonstrations here:

http://answer.pephost.org/site/News2?abbr=ANS_&page=NewsArticle&id=8709