[Marxism] In case anyone needed reminding that liberal politics have gone rightward in recent years...

Jeffrey Thomas Piercy, El Pato Comunista mqduck at sonic.net
Mon Oct 29 08:32:33 MDT 2007

...here's some comprehensible proof. My head hurts from reading this. I
don't feel like commenting.

Nader voters crippled Gore in 2000; now they love him

BY CELESTE KATZ
DAILY NEWS POLITICAL CORRESPONDENT

Sunday, October 28th 2007, 4:00 AM

     * Print
     * Email
     * Suggest a Story

Right or wrong, people who voted for Ralph Nader get blamed for costing
Al Gore the 2000 election.

Now, some of those very same voters are throwing themselves into a new -
and nonexistent - campaign: Gore 2008.

And they say there's no irony at all.

"In 2000, Nader was the most progressive candidate, and in 2008, Al Gore
would be the most progressive candidate. There's no dissonance at all, I
would say," argues Bud Plautz, the New York head of the movement to
draft the former vice president.

Newly minted Nobel Laureate Gore, of course, is the biggest noncandidate
candidate in the arena.

In 2000, Nader sucked up more than 97,000 votes in Florida - many times
the infinitesimal margin by which President Bush beat Gore there.

Nader drew about 2.9 million votes nationally - pulling support from
Gore without earning the Green Party a permanent ballot slot.

Another former Naderite, Northern California author Bill Katovsky, isn't
exactly hiding his feelings this month by editing a "quotable quotes"
book called "The World According to Gore: The Incredible Vision of the
Man Who Should be President."

Katovsky says many feel it's "redemptive" and "cathartic" to support
Gore this time around.

"The right wing never apologizes and never admits to making mistakes,
and I think the left is full of guilt and angst and this collective
mentality that we were indirectly responsible for Bush's eight-year
reign of terror," he said.

Katovsky calls provocative filmmaker Michael Moore "the biggest sea change."

In 2000, he said, "Michael Moore was a big Nader supporter. He
single-handedly handed more votes to Nader. ... You might even say
Michael Moore cost the election for Gore."

Back then, Moore wrote Gore a letter that included the line, "I will not
feel one iota of guilt should you screw up and lose on Tuesday. The
blame I do share is that I voted for you and Bill in 1992."

Fast-forward to today: Moore wouldn't comment, but an Oct. 8 posting on
michaelmoore.com said, "12,400 signatures are needed by Oct. 23rd to get
Al Gore on the ballot in Michigan. Get off your tooter and join the
petition drive!"

Veteran Democratic consultant Hank Sheinkopf says those switching
allegiance are "very confused."

"The same folks who successfully derailed the Democrats on the road to
the White House now seek to do the same to Sen. Clinton," he said.

Gore and Nader spokesmen had no comment.

Kerry Lusignan, a psychotherapist from Conway, Mass., who organizes Gore
supporters in the western part of the state, places Gore in the same
esteem as Martin Luther King Jr. and John F. Kennedy - but said she
doesn't regret giving Nader her vote in 2000.

To some extent, she says, she feels the experience might have made Gore
the man he is today.

"He's not afraid to speak out now," she said, "which would not have
happened, I don't think, if 2000 hadn't occurred."

ckatz at nydailynews.com