[Marxism] Respect split

Einde O'Callaghan einde at gmx.de
Tue Oct 30 15:06:56 MDT 2007

Louis Proyect schrieb:
> (bounced from Ernie Tate. HTML formatting?)

As I understand it this isn't strictly true - at least as far as I can
see from here in Germany. There is a serious split within Respect - Thre
are claims and counter-claims. The latest statement I've seen from mthe
SWP called for the scheduled conference, due in mid-November to decide
on the issues. this doesn't sound like a split to me.

On the other hand there are reports that George galloway and company
want to postpone the conference. They have also declared that John Rees,
the National Secretary of Respect, should no longer be regarded as such
and that Lindsey german the London mayoral candidate has also forfeited
her position - with what constitutional justification I don't know.

In one are ther has been a split. Some of teh councillors in tower
Hamlets in East London have split from the council group, but still
claim to be loyal members of Respect. What the reasons are I can't
really tell. John Rees attended the press conference of the dissident
councillors - what he actually said there is the subject of conflicting
reposrts.

I'm afraid I can't really follow the in and outs of the conflict but I
would like to point out that Phil Hearse and Liam Macuaid, who are
claiming that the SWP has split from Respect, are actually members of
the anti-SWP faction and as such their take on the situation is possibly
a bit biassed.

People may know that I'm a long-time member of the ISTendency, but I
honestly don't know what's going on in Britain. The purpose of this
message is simply to urge people to look at both sides of the argument
before rushing to judgement. Probably the best place to find the SWP's
side of teh story is the SWP website at <http://www.swp.org.uk/>

There you will find a statement from Monday headed "The SWP leadership
is not splitting from Respect"
<http://www.swp.org.uk/respect_announce.php>, which would seem to
contradict Phil hearse's interpretation of events. Anotehr called
"Respect: there is no split - let the members decide"
<http://www.swp.org.uk/respect_announce2.php>, calls for the conference
to decide on the way forward. This also doesn't sound like a call for a
split to me.

However, as I said the details are pretty murky - allegations and
counter-allegations abound - and I'm just as much in the dark as others
not in the thick of the faction-fight.

Einde O'Callaghan