[Marxism] Respect split

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Oct 31 17:25:14 MDT 2007

Tom O'Lincoln wrote:
  > Perhaps they do, but where is the evidence that another model produces
> better growth? A relevant model, please, where similar objective conditions
> apply.

Nobody can deny that the British SWP has experienced impressive growth
over the past 20 years or so. However, I favor an organizational model
that can win millions, not just thousands. I am talking about the whole
shebang. Admittedly, even with a nonsectarian model in place in Great
Britain or the USA there might not the possibility that it can command
the allegiance of millions. But in countries where the class struggle is
more advanced the model that I advocate can achieve mass proportions.
This is the case in Venezuela today and was the case in Nicaragua in the
1970s. But I don't blame people like Alex Callinicos and John Rees for
sticking with what they have learned. Old habits die hard, especially
when you believe that dispensing with "Marxist-Leninist" organizational
principles leads to Menshevism.