[Marxism] New Zealand IST group speaks out on Respect controversy

Lenin's Tomb leninstombblog at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 31 18:23:33 MDT 2007

On 10/31/07, Philip Ferguson <philip.ferguson at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> I can't imagine the cabal atop the British SWP liking the NZ letter one
> little bit - it's fine for the Brit leaders to interfere in the
> "sections" of the IST but if any of the mere "sections" express views
> about SWP policy in Britain there will be hell to pay.

What?  Are you serious?  The NZ comrades have been criticising the British
SWP openly over Chavez for months, and it wasn't attacked or given any kind
of "hell to pay" so far as I know.  This is, of course, a bit more serious,
but the *worst* that can happen to them is that the IST will expel them from
the tendency (I stress I am not saying this will happen), so it's hardly a
massive international sanctions regime.  I have a lot of respect for Daphne
Lawless, but I fear the main problem with this letter is that it was written
without really checking anything, and with an unfairly hostile tone to boot,
and that is unfortunately happening quite a bit over this issue.

More importantly, why are you borrowing the language of anticommunism?
What's with this 'cabal' nonsense?  The CC is an elected body whose members
are quite public about who they are and what they stand for.  A 'cabal' is a
secret organisation usually promoting private interests, and as such the
description is entirely unwarranted and wierdly paranoid.