[Marxism] Obama gets rave reviews

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Dec 1 06:43:35 MST 2008

http://www.alternet.org/bloggers/www.alternet.org/109160/

Neocons, Republicans and War Criminals Rave About Obama's 'Team of Rivals'
By Jeremy Scahill, AlterNet
Posted on November 30, 2008, Printed on December 1, 2008

As Barack Obama's opus, Team of Rivals, continues its rolling debut, the
early reviews are in and the "critics" are full of praise for the cast:

"[T]he new administration is off to a good start."

-- Senate Republican leader, Mitch McConnell.

"[S]uperb ... the best of the Washington insiders ... this will be a
valedictocracy -- rule by those who graduate first in their high school
classes."

-- David Brooks, conservative New York Times columnist

"[V]irtually perfect ... "

-- Senator Joe Lieberman, former Democrat and John McCain's top
surrogate in the 2008 campaign.

"[R]eassuring."

-- Karl Rove, "Bush's brain."

"I am gobsmacked by these appointments, most of which could just as
easily have come from a President McCain ... this all but puts an end to
the 16-month timetable for withdrawal from Iraq, the unconditional
summits with dictators, and other foolishness that once emanated from
the Obama campaign ... [Hillary] Clinton and [James] Steinberg at State
should be powerful voices for 'neo-liberalism' which is not so different
in many respects from 'neo-conservativism.'"

-- Max Boot, neoconservative activist, former McCain staffer.

"I see them as being sort of center-right of the Democratic party."

-- James Baker, former Secretary of State and the man who led the theft
of the 2000 election.

"[S]urprising continuity on foreign policy between President Bush's
second term and the incoming administration ... certainly nothing that
represents a drastic change in how Washington does business. The
expectation is that Obama is set to continue the course set by Bush ... "

-- Michael Goldfarb of the neoconservative Weekly Standard.

"I certainly applaud many of the appointments ... "

-- Senator John McCain

"So far, so good."

-- Senator Lamar Alexander, senior Republican Congressional leader.

Hillary Clinton will be "outstanding" as Secretary of State

-- Henry Kissinger, war criminal

Rahm Emanuel is "a wise choice" in the role of Chief of Staff

-- Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, John McCain's best friend.

Obama's team shows "Our foreign policy is non-partisan."

-- Ed Rollins, top Republican strategist and Mike Huckabee's 2008
campaign manager

"The country will be in good hands."

-- Condoleezza Rice, George W. Bush's Secretary of State

**Team of Rivals will be playing all day, every day for at least the
next four years**

Jeremy Scahill pledges to be the same journalist under an Obama
administration that he was during Bill Clinton and George Bush's
presidencies. He is the author of Blackwater: The Rise of the World's
Most Powerful Mercenary Army and is a frequent contributor to The Nation
and Democracy Now! He is a Puffin Foundation Writing Fellow at the
Nation Institute.